VetRx for catch-all treatment? Runny Nose + History of Bubbly Eyes in Old Hen

SonnyPon

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2023
Hi everyone! I have a 7 year old hen who has just come down with a runny nose and sneezing. Not the kind of sneezing they do after they eat and (presumably) inhale dust. She has also had a history of bubbly eyes every now and again, and I think I've heard her breathe rumbly/wheezy, but that was months ago. Would VetRx be a good catch-all since many respiratory illnesses present the same?

Vet rx is a placebo, like vicks for chickens. It may alleviate symptoms but it won't treat or cure anything.
Tylan or LA 200 would be more appropriate.

No, it doesn't treat anything and is the same thing essentially as vick's vapor rub.

It MIGHT offer a little temporary relief at best. Sometimes though, relief of symptoms is useful to allow the body to rest and build it's own recovery.

I prefer to support the immune system through boosted nutrition when need be.. Rooster Booster brand Poultry Booster or Poultry Cell are both good products.

The following article includes antibiotic suggestions for some more common bacterial respiratory stuff (not helpful for viral things like AI or fowl pox)..

https://ccmedia.fdacs.gov/content/download/77376/file/Mycoplasma-Brochure.pdf

Back
Top Bottom