vibrating chicks feel like they are "purring"?

Kait27

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Central Massachusetts
Hi there, I'm a first-time chick raiser with four buff orp's hatched (approx) one week ago today. Got them on Monday. Everyone seems very healthy, active, eating, drinking, etc. When i put my hand in the brooder, some of them will come over and stand in my palm. It almost feels like they are vibrating, or purring. Anyone else ever experience this? Do they have a contented "purr", or is it shivering with fright or something? seems like if they were scared of my hand, they wouldn't run over and jump on it. The heat lamp is always on and its always between 93-98°, they always seem comfy, moving closer and farther away as needed. hmm.....

Quote:
Does it sound like .....Brrrrupt! Brrrrupt! That just means I love you.
tongue.png

Last edited:
there really isnt any noise, i can just feel it when they stand on my hand, or if I pick them up. I'm afraid it means they are shaking because they are scared.

I have noticed this with some of my chicks..Based on my observations on my chicks I think it means that they are cold/scared. This is just the body trembling - no verbalization -not a purring sound.
Double check the heat lamp? maybe lower it?

Edit:
And: when I do notice it I try to stroke them on the back between thier shoulders between the wings next to the neck. Make sure not to stroke the wings or they'll sqwak and move away.It seems to calm them down. They usually settle down and cuddle and go to sleep. I them place them close/under the lamp.

Just my .02

Last edited:
Quote:
i think they are plenty warm- they dont tend to spend most of their time right under the heat lamp. i have a digital thermometer and the temp is in the 90's. I guess they are just scared. Oh well, hopefully they will get used to it.

Quote:

i think they are plenty warm- they dont tend to spend most of their time right under the heat lamp. i have a digital thermometer and the temp is in the 90's. I guess they are just scared. Oh well, hopefully they will get used to it.
Mine do this too. But they aren't cold, then I thought scared but I don't think so. I will start rubbing them and they will start vibrating/purring and go to sleep. They seem so content so I don't think it's scared but I'm having a hard time finding anything online. But seems like everyones chicks do it

Back
Top Bottom