Vicious Dog Attack, Puncture wounds on hen

Ameraucana_girl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Yesterday we came home to find that our family dog had escaped and killed a Brahma hen and put several tooth marks in an Australorp; at first we thought the Aust was dead, but she got up and has four gouges in her back and one tooth-sized hole all the way through her skin. I sprayed Bactine on the wounds, and loosely put gauze with Neosporin on the wounds aswell. At first she didn't want to stand at all, however later on she's been standing up.. one of her eyes is sort of droopy as well. She ate a tiny bit last night, however I didn't see her drink at all and she hasn't eaten or drunk anything today. She's walking around fine, trying to hop up on perches, and she's separated from the rest of the flock... right now it's cool outside (no flies today) so I took the bandages off to let the wounds air dry. She looks like she's preparing to lay an egg in one of the nest boxes at the moment.

I'm worried that she's off her feed, she won't accept anything I've tried to give her, is she in shock? She also breathes funnily when she sits down, it's just a bit laboured. I'd like to know if there's anything else that I should be doing, am I doing the right things, etc.?

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated!

She may have ruptured air sac(s). Other than keeping the wounds clean (I'd boil them out with a hydrogen peroxide/iodine mixture before applying antibiotic cream) and keeping her warm, there's not much else to be done. Barring vets/radiographs, etc. If there's anything she espcially loves to eat, fruits, vegetables, pasta, whatever, give that to her.

Alright, thanks for the tips! Are ruptured air sacs a huge/fatal problem, or will they heal on their own?

Last edited:
She might be ok in time. I would just keep the wounds clean and let her
heal up. My dog tried to play with a hen, and didnt hurt her as bad yours, but it
still took a week before she looked herself. My hen drooped on one side. I find
mealworms will keep a bird eating and sweetened water might give her a little pep.
Your hen probably has a broken rib or two pressing her diaphram.

Air sacs can "heal", basically seal over. They don't have any blood supply so they don't actually repair themselves. I'd just try getting some hydration and nutrition into her and let her rest and her body do what it can. If she will drink but not eat, go for Pedialyte or make your own sugar/small amount of salt/water solution for her drink. Possibly even a beaten egg or very thinly pureed veggies - anything she will take in.

We had that same problem a couple of years ago. We lost 2 but one wasn't as badly injured but you could see her bare skin and she had puncture wounds. We kept her isolated and kept food and water near by. We also offered her meal worms which were her favorite and some plain yogurt which she couldn't resist. I think just keeping her quiet and away from the rest of the flock and keep watching her she should be okay in a couple of weeks.

My hen was feeling poorly and her comp was drooping so I wormed her and she had lice and they are gone now. Then 4 mornings ago I found her with a cat, she was out all night, I just dont know how I missed locking her up! my hen wont walk and has a purple bulge on the right side of her tummy. It might be her thigh. She wont walk but is eating. I isolated her 3 days ago and she is getting better. At first she always had her eyes closed. I wormed her and she had awful lice which are gone. She is getting anitbioticcs in the water too. Im just worried about the bruise and her not walking. Im not sure that the cat hurt her. She didnt seem scared.

(before the no walking) I used lice powder she still seemed to feel bad and now the no walking. I a going to try yougurt but Im worried maybe I should stop trying to keep her alove. I need advice!

Our duck and hens were attacked by dogs last week, the duck survived but had pretty deep dog bite marks. We used Veterycyn on the bites and treated her with an oral antibiotic (erythromycin) and she did wonderfully on both. You can't eat the eggs laid while on the antibiotics, and the veterycyn is pricey (we paid 30bucks at Tractor Supply) but it's totally worth it! Our vet uses it and recommends it over Blue Cote. Watch to be sure the other hens aren't pecking at her otherwise you'll have to separate them. I would suggest bringing her into the house for treatment for a few days at least. Keep her warm, dry and clean.

I have heard stories of birds surviving horrible injuries, so keep faith!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom