Vicious Rooster Please Help

CountryChick561

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
I have a black cochin. He is gorgeous. BUT he has a bad temper and will chase and attack people. He mostly chases kids and women. He is more nervous around men and usually runs away. My grandma wants to keep him because she loves him so much (shes never been attacked, but he tries to attack me everytime I go out there and I'M THE ONE WHO HAS TO CARE FOR HIM.) I want to get rid of him when we rotate old hens for new ones. We also have 2 golden polish cockerels who are sweet and we will keep no matter what, 2 Red Star cockerels who we will probably get rid of with the old hens, and another cochin cockerel who I want to keep to replace the mean cochin but my grandma won't allow us to get rid of the mean rooster. Why should we keep him if he can be replaced by sweet roosters? Any ideas on maybe getting him to be nicer or convincing my grandma to let us get rid of him? He is also aggressive to other roosters! Most of our roosters leave each other alone, but if he sees another rooster he instantly attacks them until they are a bloody mess.
hmm.png

Well.....since your the one who has to care for him......I say he takes the trip to camp freezer asap.....we do not tolerate that here

You could put him in his own little pen and run and let Grandma take care of him. Or, you could discuss with her what kind of lawsuit would happen when the rooster seriously injures a visiting child. Or you could send her shopping for a few hours and he "disappears" while she's gone. The possibilities are endless if you think about it long enough.

Our RIR roo first got aggressive with my DH and we decided it was a male stand off. He was shy of me and the kids but always talked to me and stayed nearby and passive. But the other morning he attacked me when I went out to give them their morning scratch snack and check their water. My DD was just on the other side of the fence and on her way into the coop. He went to freezer camp that night. From what ivevread on here, once a roo starts attacking people they will escalate until they attack anyone. we didn't believe that, but it turned out in this case at leastnto be true. And at our house, any animal who chases kids has to go. I couldn't pass our problem to someone else so we took care of it .

Good luck with grandma. Has he been overly aggressive with the hens?

haha! I was thinking an accident might occur soon. He does peck some of my hens. I have a little skinny leghorn (I call her Sweet Heart, she loves people.) who all the chickens are aggresive to that he attacks. Right now most of the hens are bald on the back and I think it might be him doing that to them...maybe. He is sweet to most of the hens. He is nicest to the black hens, but is pretty rude to the rest. I would love to keep him, he is gorgeous, fluffy, and has cool eyes, but I'm sick of running away from him.

I say change his name to "Stew".
Sorry but grandma needs to understand that getting flogged hurts and cannot be allowed to continue.

I don't know how to tell her that we are getting rid of him whether she likes it or not. "Hey Grandma, I'm gonna go kill the rooster, sorry but he's done making me mad." She would be mad.
smack.gif
Plus I have no idea how I am going to catch him...
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom