video gamers- grand theft auto?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
My son, who is turning 12 on the 28th, really wants Grand Theft Auto. He has been asking for it for 2 years. We heard horrible things about this game so we always told him no. With his birthday coming up he is asking again. I know that a lot of the kids he goes to school with play this game and a lot of parents don't really look into these before buying(I sold quite a few when I worked in retail a few years ago, even though I told them the game was inappropriate for a 9yo
hmm.png
) Anyway, my dh asked the guys he is deployed with for their take on this game and they said the newer ones did horrible things. They also said the older ones aren't that bad, is this true? And if so which is the most mild version? He only recently has been allowed to play call of duty and loves planes, tanks etc (probably result of growing up an army brat) but this is the game he ALWAYS begs for.... so are any versions more "mild"?

oh, and we have an xbox 360, if I find an older title for the regular xbox will that work in our system? Funny, I used to be a big video game geek, now I know absolutely nothing!

All the older ones are for ps2... (Like vice city, 2 and 3, san andreas) As far as I know the only one for 360 is the one your talking about. But Im not a huge gamer so I dont know 100%. I have played it before and I like it but my mom wont let me get it either.( good thing for friends;).)

"The older ones aren't that bad"

If the older ones aren't that bad I couldn't imagine what goes on in the newer versions. I've played this game in the past(3or 4 years ago). It's not a game I would want my 12 year old to play. You can visit strip clubs that have girls doing pole dances, pay hookers to get into a car you've stolen (watch as the car shakes...wonder what is happening), and many other things that are inappropriate for kids.

Last edited:
I got more info from dh, apparently the new ones you have to "work your way up the ladder" in an organization and HAVE to partake in a LOT of ummm explicit activities. We decided to scrap the idea. I am getting him a flight simulator game and a flight stick controller and he is esctatic about it....at least diverted for now. I appreciate the responses
wink.png

Quote:
I've seen all that as well watching friends play it, and I personally would NOT allow it in my house, at any age. I'm a stickler about being the "appropriate" police, but even if I wasn't I still don't think I'd let my kids play it until they're old enough to get a job and buy it themselves.

If it were me I'd stick to the military style games, JMO
smile.png

my kids are the only ones in their group that arent allowed to play those games but i dont care..they are definitely adults only.
does anyone remember the first one? where you had an above view of the car and it was really cheesy, back in i think 98-99?

THANK YOU for not getting it for him!!!! It's very gruesome and explicit.

If you do get him a shooting game later on, I'd suggest one of the U.S. Army games. (I don't play FPSs, so I don't know what they're called.)

GTA 4 is the newest, and yeah I agree the olders ones aren't nearly as bad. Just about everything bad you can think of is in GTA 4 and I don't think it's appropiate for a 12 yr old! If he's into army/war style games I'd suggest battlefield: bad company 2 which came out very recently. I own it and it's an AWESOME game that is very realistic (For a war game) and requires lots of teamwork. Look it up and many people agree that it's much better than Call Of Duty....which I think is dying now.
wink.png
Even though I love Bad company 2 I'll always be a halo person! Halo: reach beta and halo 3 FOR THE WIN!

I had ordered Halo 3 as a "surprise" for him but he wanted to pick a game. Is bad company a multi player game? He had asked for that one but he likes company when he plays so I wasn't sure, I also think the price is still a bit new. I hate spending $50 for a game that will be $30 in a couple of months
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom