Video of ducks splashing in pool for first time, question about gender

Jeeper1540

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
The Canyons of Nevada
I have 4 ducks. from the 'symptoms' (lol) i think i have 2 males and 2 females. from what i can tell, the Pekin and Blue Swedish are males, as they dont really have a quack, and the 2 magpies are girls, as they have a VERY LOUD quack. if you can tell whether or not i am right on the genders please let me know.

The following video was created by me. It is the 4th episode in a series, this one shows the 12 foot expansion to the yard on the coop, and the ducks first time in the big kiddie pool. up until now they have only had a little foot by a foot tub of water. they were so excited to have the new pool. again, please let me know if these are males or females. thanks!
big_smile.png

Ranch Life Episode 4-By Jeeper1540

Hello Jeeper1540,

Thank you so much for sharing that video.
I love those ducks in the water.
They are so adorable, flapping, diving, paddling.
makes me happy.
big_smile.png

sorry, i don't know enough to help you with the gender question.
sad.png

Beth

ok i think i am right on the gender because when i was out at the coop today i noticed that the Pekin and Blue Swedish tail feathers are a little curly-er. is this to many males per females?

Curly tail feathers are pretty much the "tell-tail" for drakes, you'll likely also notice a hoarser quack that sounds like an old man clearing his throat - very raspy. You need to have 3 or 4 female ducks per drake, so you're either gonna need to get rid of one of those drakes or get more ducks.

Looks like they love their new quarters - thanks for sharing the video... I liked watching them discover the pool. I found with my runners that there is a distinct difference in their voice - males have a low raspy voice.

Last edited:
The coop & pen look great, and so do your birds! I couldn't see or hear enough details from your ducks to help you determine their genders. I go by their quack/rasp and the little curled feather on the drake's tail.

Now how do you plan to drain & clean that pool?

Glad u asked. today we pumped it out with an electric pump, and then pulled the pool out of the coop and washed it out, and then put it back in and filled it back up. i can tell i dont want to do that everytime, so im working on an idea for a drain on the pool
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom