Video of my sick chicken. Any ideas? (UPDATE: She died sometime last night)

mondotomhead

Songster
8 Years
Sep 22, 2011
Sturbridge
As you can see she is rather "puffy" and holding her wings down. She listlessly pecks at the grass but I really don't see her eating or drinking. She takes long breaths. She is about 3 months old. None of my other chickens appear to be sick. I checked her crop and if feels like a large marble but I checked another chicken and his felt the same.

Last edited:
I've bumped this up
hu.gif

Check her crop,make sure it does empty to rule out impacted crop. Check in the evening after eating,should be full,check in morning before eating,should be empty. Have you added any new flock members? Watch for Coccidiosis,any other symptoms ie: discharge from eyes/nostrils,any issues with vent,check for mites/lice/worms. How does her poop look?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply. Would Coccidiousis have discharge because she does not have any of that. There is NO new flock members. I'll check her crop again and check for mites, etc.

Thanks so much for the reply. Would Coccidiousis have discharge because she does not have any of that. There is NO new flock members. I'll check her crop again and check for mites, etc.
No discharge with Cocci,some symptoms of cocci are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers.lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,weight loss,general look of unwell. She may not have cocci,i mentioned cocci b/c all flock keepers should be aware of the symptoms and treatment,cocci kills very fast. Treatment is Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 3/4 tsp per gallon of water(may be increased to 1 tsp for severe outbreak). Treat ALL chickens for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with the ability of medication to work)give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Definitely check her for mites/lice/worms as these could also produce same symptoms.

Definitely not the heat. Its only 72 here, cloudy and windy. She has no mites for sure. Don't know about worms yet. Can't tell what poop is hers! She "growls" when I pick her up and she pecks me.

What does and impacted crop feel like? I can feel something like a large marble that moves around. I did try to get some olive oil in her and I massaged that lump in a downward motion.

I'm not sure its Cocci if it kills fast because she's been unwell since Sunday and its Thursday night now.

Again, thanks everyone for answering me
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom