Vigorously mating drake won't give those girls a break!!

GosfieldAcres

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Canada
We have 3 drakes and 13 ducks (Khaki Campbells) and our alpha drake "Admiral" is a VERY vigorous breeder. All day long (no exaggeration!) he's at it, to the point that every one of our ducks are missing all the feathers on the back of their necks! The other two drakes even help him out, pecking at whichever one he's trying to mount. (They take their turns too, but not nearly as often.)

Is this normal, or do these poor ladies need a break? He's such a handsome drake and obviously doing his job, it would seem a shame to get rid of him, but our poor ducks! Any suggestions? Get him a few dozen more ducks to keep him busy??

(It is funny, though, when my six year old yells at him, "Admiral, give her a BREAK!")

Some drakes are very serious about their jobs. If he (with the help of the others) is picking your hens feathers completely out they may need a break from the guys for a bit. Is there a way you could separate them for a bit? If you are wanting fertile eggs that wont be a problem. The girls will stay fertile for about 3 weeks I believe after their last mating. Just to give them a small break and to let them rest a bit. I'm sure that the vigorous mating is stressing them out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom