Vines for coop and run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jayjord, Sep 13, 2013.

1. jayjord

jayjord New Egg

Sep 13, 2013
    Billings, Montana
    I haven't yet built a coop or even raised chickens before. I'm still figuring out designs for everything. Does anyone have any type of vines growing on the chicken wire around your runs? I think this would help blend the chicken area with the rest of my yard. What types of vines would good? Any kind that would be poisonous? Thanks for any feedback!!

2. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I have couple of types of clematis on each corner of the run, some raspberry bushes and rose bushes

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    People report using grape, honeysuckle, jasmine, trumpet vine, and so forth.

Chris

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Morning Glories are a great vine. And they're edible, so they're safe for the chooks.

~ Aspen

5. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    morning glories are beautiful looking only problem is once you have them they need serious management otherwise they will take over everything

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    True that! They are edible however, so if we have an abundance of morning glories we pick them, and throw them in green smoothies or give them to the birds for a good snack.

~ Aspen

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My neighbor had grapes growing all over her coops - they ate the grapes they could reach! They were thick grapes I think Moscovie grapes.

Caroline

9. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    We haven't yet, but plan to use a vining spinach, pole beans, squash and cucumbers. There'll be some clean up every year, but the DW insists. [​IMG]

10. 4mybcs

4mybcs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    Love all the ideas for vines. Great summer shade and something to peck at. Vining spinach is a really good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by