Vintage Feeder Worth Using?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mommacb, Apr 16, 2012.

1. mommacb

mommacb Out Of The Brooder

My father bought us a vintage metal chicken feeder at an antique store. It's about four feet long and stands on metal legs with a guard overtop. Would we be better off buying a new feeder at the store, or will this work well?

2. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm jealous! I'd love to have one of those! As long as it doesn't tip over (either the legs have a wide stance or you attach it to the wall) then you're probably good to go. Clean it well in case someone used it for something dumb like fertilizer.

3. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I have a bunch of these along with old wooden chicken crates, I use them all the time, I get the stuff from old chicken coops, either from family friends or strangers.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The modern copy of those older feeders simply aren't as good. Yup, those originals are great.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I use all kinds of vintage stuff. Most of it is not worth much money as antiques, although that is always worth looking into before use. You never know; you might have some rare item. So check first.
    But keep in mind what its purpose was - its as good now as ever. My favorite item is a vintage chick feeder, that I've paired with a large jar dug from an old bottle pit. Both are 75-100 years old and still working fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by