Vinyl - good or bad

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reksat, Mar 14, 2011.

1. reksat

reksat Chirping

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like this will be my choice. I have a brother who works as a carpet/vinyl installer so hopefully he can get me some leftovers to save on cost. TajMahal Chicken one question = When raising the vinyl 1ft above the floor what do you fasten it to ? The studs itself or some type of basesboard installed up the sides of the coop. just wondering before my coop goes up Thanks.

2. angelinthemorning

angelinthemorning In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2011
    Anyone ever use the peel and stick vinyl tiles?

TIA

3. angelinthemorning

Feb 24, 2011
    Bump. Newbie question. Tia.

4. garthmyers

garthmyers In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    I am in the process of building my coop and after this post will definatly use vynal for the flooring.

Thanks,

-Garth-

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:I don't think they would work well. With all the seams there is too much chance for moisture to get in and the chickens may scratch them up.

BTW ~ [​IMG] and just a friendly note ~ "Bumping" a thread is frowned upon on BYC.

6. angelinthemorning

Feb 24, 2011
    Thank you for the response. Something to consider.

My apology on the bump, didn't want to clutter the threads.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Yes, many people, and the ones who tell you they work wonderfully and don't come loose are almost entirely the people whose stick-on vinyl tiles are less than a couple years old [​IMG]

They come loose. Repair/replacement is a harder job than having just done something else in the first place.

There is truly nothing at all wrong with a plain, primed-and-painted plywood floor. Why overcomplicate things? [​IMG]

Pat

8. duy_quan

duy_quan In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Good

I like it:)

9. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG]
    Just got back from my shopping.
    The vinyl 8x12 was $52 (and it didn't say whether or not it was waterproof on both sides).

I stopped by Walmart and bought a gallon of semi-gloss paint from their discard pile for $5.
    Bought primer for $14.

So I guess I saved myself some $$$.

Looks like I'm painting rather than putting down vinyl!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: