Vinyl shed conversion

Njames1963

In the Brooder
May 23, 2024
Minnesota
Hello, I am new to chickens and I would like some input on turning a vinyl shed into a coop!
I have done toooons of research already on this subject, but I want to check a few more things for my specific situation before I start the conversion process!
This shed is a 5x7 that was on the property when we moved here two years ago. I do not know exactly how old it is but it looks to be several years old. I already know how to do the ventilation holes, hardware cloth, and roosts/nest boxes. My biggest concern right now is the floor. Previous owners set this shed on a wooden platform that is now rotting away. There is no actual floor that came with the shed, it appears to be caulked where it meets the wood. I want to move the shed off the wood, replace the floor with patio tile, then put it back and anchor it again with caulk or whatever works best. I'm unsure how to move this thing though, especially since it appears to be connected to the wood floor, and I worry the thing might fall apart if I attempt moving it. Disassembling the shed is out of the question, considering it's age and I have no idea how to put it back together again. Has anyone successfully moved one of these sheds before while assembled? How would I go about getting it off the rotting wood?
Assuming I can do this successfully, I want to use the red patio tiles (seen in of the photos) as a base. Will I need to have the shed elevated even if I have it sitting on those? I've seen varying opinions on elevating or not. Or would it even be better to just have the shed sit on bare earth and anchor it? I also have some pallets I originally was going to use as a base but I worry they would eventually rot too and I don't know how to place flooring over them since they have gaps.

Moving on to other potential issues. This shed is made of VINYL, not resin (I've seen tons of resin coop conversions but not necessarily vinyl). I think it would still be easy enough to cut holes into with a hole saw and cut out a hole for the auto door I eventually will put in. Experience with this? I did notice a small hole in the back of the shed (pictured) and I honestly figured I'd just strategically place the coop door there so I can cut out the broken part. Other things I noticed were small areas near the roof and base were light was leaking in. I've read small spaces like this are fine and not to worry about sealing up as they help with the ventilation. The shed has trees on both sides of it so it does not get much wind. I only worry about water leaking in there. Ive never noticed water coming into the shed but I also haven't stood in it during a rainstorm either. I'm guessing that might be what I have to do to see if there's any leaks and seal those up haha. I also live in Minnesota so I would make sure its well insulated and sealed before winter anyway.

Lastly, the run. I need to address that sandbox behind the shed, where I plan to install my run, so obviously I will need to take that sandbox out. I will be putting in a walk in dog kennel. Best way to attach said kennel to the shed? It will be a metal one. Can I use the sand in that sandbox as flooring for the run? I would obviously sift out any debris that's built up in there. Otherwise I'll dispose of it and put fresh sand down. Also, a roof for the run? It comes with a tarp but I'm thinking I'd install something more permanent. Best thing for this?

Thank you for reading this super long post! I'm just a new chicken mama on a budget and I'm not super handy, but willing to learn!
1000006377.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240524_013132227.jpg
    PXL_20240524_013132227.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20240524_013509801.jpg
    PXL_20240524_013509801.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240524_013517185.jpg
    PXL_20240524_013517185.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20240524_013136001.jpg
    PXL_20240524_013136001.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20240524_013454241.jpg
    PXL_20240524_013454241.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20240524_013537764.jpg
    PXL_20240524_013537764.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20240524_013104028.jpg
    PXL_20240524_013104028.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
I just googled that DuraMax shed and it looks like the foundation is part of the kit, and is attached to it with fasteners. You may want to watch the videos to see how to remove without disassembling the whole thing
Interesting.. it honestly just looks like a shoddy thrown together wood base. I'll have to look closer at it. I'll watch those videos, thanks!

As long as it stays dry I prefer a dirt coop floor. Dirt does not rot or decay. Mice, rats, and snakes do not live between a wooden floor and the top of the dirt. In summer the dirt should be cooler than the air. In Minnesota in winter that floor will be warmer than your air temperatures during a cold snap. I added a few inches of dirt to my dirt coop floor which kept outside water out and used wood shavings as a bedding on top of that. Other bedding works.

I'd be very careful trying to move that shed around and get the wooden floor off. I don't know what that looks like but I'd expect the wood adds a lot of stiffness and strength to the wall. It could easily buckle and warp without that support. Without knowing what it looks like or if rocks are in the dirt I'd consider using a sawzall to cut the wood out, leaving a bit of wood around the edge.

I don't know what kind of wire your dog kennel is made of. probably chain link but anymore I try to not make too many assumptions. Regardless, the way I'd consider attaching it to the coop would be to make a sandwich. Put a piece of wood on the inside of your coop where you are attaching it. Put a piece of wood outside the wire. Put a screw that goes from one piece of wood, through the wire and wall, and into the other piece of wood. A few screws should attach it firmly and stiffen your wall.

As long as it stays dry I prefer a dirt coop floor. Dirt does not rot or decay. Mice, rats, and snakes do not live between a wooden floor and the top of the dirt. In summer the dirt should be cooler than the air. In Minnesota in winter that floor will be warmer than your air temperatures during a cold snap. I added a few inches of dirt to my dirt coop floor which kept outside water out and used wood shavings as a bedding on top of that. Other bedding works.

I'd be very careful trying to move that shed around and get the wooden floor off. I don't know what that looks like but I'd expect the wood adds a lot of stiffness and strength to the wall. It could easily buckle and warp without that support. Without knowing what it looks like or if rocks are in the dirt I'd consider using a sawzall to cut the wood out, leaving a bit of wood around the edge.

I don't know what kind of wire your dog kennel is made of. probably chain link but anymore I try to not make too many assumptions. Regardless, the way I'd consider attaching it to the coop would be to make a sandwich. Put a piece of wood on the inside of your coop where you are attaching it. Put a piece of wood outside the wire. Put a screw that goes from one piece of wood, through the wire and wall, and into the other piece of wood. A few screws should attach it firmly and stiffen your wall.
Thank you so much for your advice! I will be taking a closer look at the floor and consider my options... I really don't want to move that shed if I can help it! And you say dirt as well? I plan to do deep litter method so I think that would work best too. Especially if I leave a rim of wood around the shed.

The kennel will be galvanized steel, not chain link. A bit nicer than those. I plan to wrap hardware cloth around it too just in case.

If you remove most of the floor within the shed leaving the wood under the shed sides, eventually that wood will also rot away leaving you with no 'foundation' and gaps.

However... If you cut away most of the inside wood you could probably use something to jack up one side of the shed at a time just enough to slide out the rest of the wood.

An option would be to is to add a wood frame to the inside of the shed that ties the sides together without need for a floor. There's tons of videos and articles online of people adding that type of framing to a resin shed.

Another option - if the existing wood is somewhat viable is to use - add some of those strong stall mats on top of the wood after cleaning it up really well and sealing it - especially sealing the outside edges. There's also some sort of rubber paint stuff that you can apply to wood that others have used on their brand new coop floor but I've only ever read about it.

However... If you cut away most of the inside wood you could probably use something to jack up one side of the shed at a time just enough to slide out the rest of the wood.

An option would be to is to add a wood frame to the inside of the shed that ties the sides together without need for a floor. There's tons of videos and articles online of people adding that type of framing to a resin shed.
Good Ideas.

If you remove most of the floor within the shed leaving the wood under the shed sides, eventually that wood will also rot away leaving you with no 'foundation' and gaps.

Another option - if the existing wood is somewhat viable is to use - add some of those strong stall mats on top of the wood after cleaning it up really well and sealing it - especially sealing the outside edges. There's also some sort of rubber paint stuff that you can apply to wood that others have used on their brand new coop floor but I've only ever read about it.
My only problem is I have no experience cutting wood nor do I have a saw to do so. I have a sawzall to do the floor but even that will be my first attempt at anything of the sort. If I had the know how to cut wood and do handy stuff I'd make my own coop and frame in an instant. So this makes me incredibly nervous and I don't have anyone helping me with it. 😢

I can look into the flooring idea. I was considering those rubber mats at first anyway.

Back
Top Bottom