Violation notice

Larasells

Hatching
Dec 15, 2020
I live in Prescott Valley Arizona. We decided to get some baby chicks at the beginning of 2020. We currently have 5 chickens and 1 rooster. I recieved a notice for violation of having chickens. I have half an acre. Town says I need 1 acre. I know laws have changed in other cities. How or what steps can I take???

:welcome Sorry to hear you have a Violation Notice concerning your flock, my guess is your Rooster may have drawn the attention of an unhappy neighbor?

I am no expert in this area and without seeing the notice to see exactly what it says and from who, it's a bit difficult to give you any sound advice, sorry.

First thing, how much time do you have to address this? Second, Educating yourself on this to know if you have a leg to stand on or not to keep your flock? Maybe you are grandfathered in and don't know it and this would make the Violation notice void.

Third, what is the penalty for this violation? Is your Coop out in the open for people passing by to see? If your Rooster is the problem and he goes away, maybe this issue will follow and your five hens will be ok?

Best of Luck. :)

I live in Prescott Valley Arizona. We decided to get some baby chicks at the beginning of 2020. We currently have 5 chickens and 1 rooster. I recieved a notice for violation of having chickens. I have half an acre. Town says I need 1 acre. I know laws have changed in other cities. How or what steps can I take???
members.jpg

According to the City of Prescott Valley.

Capture.PNG

Looks like you might be out of luck. Got to love people who have nothing better to do than take away someone's enjoyment. Just moved out of Arizona for this reason. Headed back to the "Great White North". Now my chickens, ducks, and I a free of the harassment.

Do you fall into an "Agricultural District"?

According to the City of Prescott Valley.

View attachment 2450196

Looks like you might be out of luck. Got to love people who have nothing better to do than take away someone's enjoyment. Just moved out of Arizona for this reason. Headed back to the "Great White North". Now my chickens, ducks, and I a free of the harassment.

Do you fall into an "Agricultural District"?
SERIOUSLY?! 2 hens per ACRE?!

Wow Two acres?? I don't know if we even have 2 Acres of undeveloped ground anywhere near Seattle where I live, so that's just hard to grasp.

DANG!! Did anti-social chickens write this order? Like the hen that wanted 1/2 acre all to herself??? Whoever wrote this clearly has no idea about chicken keeping and the whole ... FLOCK idea. If you have one stinking acre and are allowed 2 hens ... when one dies ... you then have to find it a single solitary friend?!? If you're within a development, I can kinda see - because chickens, even hens, aren't all that quiet. But still.

First, I suspect you are SoL. Second, any change will be a long time coming, and you are one foot in the hole in that you are already in violation, seeking a legislative change rather than seeking a zoning exemption before beginning this endeavor.

I've helped write legislation in many States, opposed some, helped redraft others, while supporting yet more - all on a different subject. Sad to say, in my experience, legislative change was more often driven by a particular constituent of particular importance to the legislator, or a high profile public event, rather than a clear understanding of the effect of current legislation and a desire to alter policy for a public good.

Assuming you haven't funds to "encourage" your legislators to look fondly upon your situation, your best bet is a long, slow process. I'd start by observing that your current ordinance treats all livestock and poultry the same. That's a rarity. Most of the similar legislation I've seen elsewhere treats livestock the same, then carves out a section for poultry. Your proposals legislatively, should seek a similar compromise. Leave the law largely as it is, carve a hole for poultry, supported by findings. That birds are flock creatures needing greater densities to by happy/healthy, that the USDA and others speak in terms of Animal Units Equivalents on land, and that one cow is roughly equal to a handful of goats (varies by breed),or a much larger number of chicken (use your state's resources for the chart - my links are all from FL where I live, or TX, where I used to), observe the history of animal keeping in the area to the extent you can research it, and maybe make reference to the current pandemic and past times when Americans have, in part, relied upon what they raised on their own property to help us thru crisis (i.e. "Victory Gardens").

Reach out via Facebook, others, see if you don't have neighbors also interested and supportive to magnify your voice. and try and figure out who put the existing ordinance on the books, and why - if its no longer relevant, you have another argument for why a modification might be in order.

but ultimately, know that you are lobbying, and its not fast, easy, or cheap.

Wow, that really is restrictive! Even here in Los Angeles, with our tiny lots that aren't even 1/4 acre, we are allowed 6 hens as long as they are 25 feet from your house and 35 feet from your neighbor's house.
That's exactly the same law here in Illinois where I live. They also mentioned that we need a permit for a Chicken Coop. Get the f...

Back
Top Bottom