Virgin Mary chicken?

Is it fertile?

• Yes

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
This is our backyard, it’s completely closed in and there’s no way a roo jumped over with our neighbor’s dogs on both sides. Plus we are not in a farm area at all, it’s San Diego so we’re one of the only neighbors with chickens. Our buff hasn’t laid any eggs yet (they’re 6 months) but she has never crowed or has any obvious rooster looks/characteristics. She is the quiet and sweet bird.:love
I’m still not convinced that she is a he but I will incubate and let everyone know what happens!! Thanks everyone for your responses:yuckyuck:thumbsup

Attachments

• D910CB0E-C7CB-4A3F-8FAA-060F842FE66B.jpeg
    D910CB0E-C7CB-4A3F-8FAA-060F842FE66B.jpeg
    602.5 KB · Views: 35
This is our backyard, it’s completely closed in and there’s no way a roo jumped over with our neighbor’s dogs on both sides. Plus we are not in a farm area at all, it’s San Diego so we’re one of the only neighbors with chickens. Our buff hasn’t laid any eggs yet (they’re 6 months) but she has never crowed or has any obvious rooster looks/characteristics. She is the quiet and sweet bird.:love
I’m still not convinced that she is a he but I will incubate and let everyone know what happens!! Thanks everyone for your responses:yuckyuck:thumbsup
Good luck!!

i'm leaning towards the orp being a rooster, and maybe he's not crowing yet because there's no other competition around... or he's just quiet. But those tail feathers look suspicious to me...
hens can also crow btw. i had silkie that we were certain was a cockeral until she started laying, and i've seen videos of hens that crow instead of an egg song. it's not a 100% determining factor. eggs however... :D

I just don't see the halo in the egg. It looks like a solid yellow spot. I thought there should be a white ring inside the yellow spot. I don't see anything like that.

Here's an easy test you could try: Get a treat they like. Offer it to the buff. If the buff drops it and starts singing his come and get it song for the other chicken you can bet it is a roo.

Back
Top Bottom