WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
You're NOT going to believe this!!!! Chick Order Canceled
somad.gif
rant.gif

For all of you who live in Virginia... Do not order from Cackle Hatchery. I placed a fairly large order (55 chicks) a week or two ago and recieved in the mail today a cancelation notice.

"The Commonwealth of Virginia has notified Cackle Hatchery that we are no longer able to send birds into Virginia. While Cackle Hatchery tests our breeder flocks for several different things, Virginia is requiring a test that the State of Missouri does not do. Our State labs do not have the manpower or facilities needed to do the blood work that Virginia is requiring
Therefore, we are canceling your order. Nothing has been charged to your Credit Card.
Thank you for visiting our website.

We ordered 55 pullets. Now where do I turn? I was counting on that paticular selection and McMurray is out of the question, Ideal does not have what I want, :thun I am just not a happy person today!!!

Could you all please send me a few suggestions of what to do, where to turn... Please Help
Below is a list of what we ordered and what we are looking for... If you have any ideas... please help...
20 pullets Cinnamon Queens
10 pullets Cherry Eggers
25 pullets Light Brahmas

Thanks...
Tes

Jayare's Chicks :

Meet someone just across the border in another state and have them sent to their house then pick them up when they come in and take them home.
lol.png

Or, move away from there....
wink.png

Jayare

Completely illegal to import chickens into Virginia like that. Even if you are writing in jest please do not make suggestions of illegal activity on the boards.

The state of Virginia is requiring some testing to be done that the breeders for Cackle hatchery are refusing to do on the basis some were saying it costs too much and makes the price of the chicks too much.

I have to side with the Commonwealth of Virginia - if you don't want to test your birds for certain infectious diseases I would prefer not to have your birds anywhere in the state around my own birds.

This topic was discussed several months ago when the initial press release was made.​

I wish I could but all borders are 3 to 5 hours away... I have 5 kids and a car the will barely get me to work at it is... other wise I would probably try hooking up with one of you all to help me out.

"just over the border" is a good 2 hour drive-- I wouldn't want to spend the gas$$

I always order from Meyer, and haven't had any problems. I don't know for certain that they have the birds you want. I don't know what cinnamon queens are nor cherry eggers. I don't know right off if they have light brahmas. I've also ordered from McMurray 1x last year with no problems.

Ms Prissy, I just got back onto the net... I did not know about any of this and they did not mention it to me when I called and talked to them about what they had... and I did tell them I was in Viriginia... Do you have any suggestions??? I know you live here... who do you purchace your poultry from???

Well 1st off I love your little blue icon dude he looks like my hubby complaining. 2nd wish I met you sooner I had a coon come in & take Lite B's & about 30 of my other chicks right though little bitty wire. I would have rather shipped them to you than find the remains. Try going on Craigslist & put an ad local for someone that may have them. I have found alot of people have the chickens but just never think about advertising to sell them--Dont know why but you can always try that! Then you are legal & they are w/in the state that changed the rules on ya. Sorry to hear you had that problem though I got some from there this year & they were gorgeous & really reasonably priced I was impressed at what I got from them. Well I hope you find some subs. Have you checked on the little site BYC advertises for individal chicks? Or just do a search for the breed w/in VA & you may be suprised at what you come up w/. Good luck.

BittyGirl,

Thanks for the advice, I will do that and see what I come up with. Sorry to hear about your loses... I know how you feel!!! Thats why I was reordering. I ordered from Cackle last year and was very impressed with what I got, that is why I was going back. I know several sell in the weekly sales add paper here... but there were certain ones we wanted... Oh well... I told DH that the bator needed to be cleaned out and it looks as if I am goin to have to build another... possibly seperating hens with a roo for a certain breed... Its just upsetting!!!

Thanks again for the advice...Tes

Back
Top Bottom