Virginia

jmarie -
I'll be bringing a whole bunch of SFH chicks to Gilmanor! They'll mostly be straight run, but I may have a few old enough to tell...

I also currently have fertile hatching eggs available and they can be shipped if you or someone you know can hatch them. They're up in the classified section right now, but you can PM me if you are interested.

I'll be taking a handful of your chicks from you. I would love to get some eggs but I am starting a batch of eggs on friday and can't hold off till your eggs would arrive.

I'll be taking a handful of your chicks from you. I would love to get some eggs but I am starting a batch of eggs on friday and can't hold off till your eggs would arrive.

My girls are laying like crazy, so if you want eggs in the future, just let me know. (Or I could ship 'em tomorrow - you'd probably get them Saturday at the latest and just stick them in as soon as they get there. One day shouldn't cause a problem. (Hatchaholic enabler here!!!)

well, got my colored (and a few red) dorking chicks from Sandhill today. of course they got there too late to make the truck to my local PO, so i had to go in to the distribution center and pick them up. (what a pain in the patoot!). sounded like someone else was getting at least 1 rooster too. LOL people grumbling all over the place about the 'infernal noise!' - including my chicks apparently, as i walked out the door with them one person was heard 'thank god THEY'RE gone!'.

so what's wrong with some (loud) peepers? got them home and my broody i tried transferring decided she didn't like her new home, but as soon as i turned her loose she went right back to her other nest... so i think what i'm going to do is transfer the chicks to her over the course of the day, and move everyone tonight once it's dark. maybe the bond with her chicks will keep her happy in the new home... so far she's got 3 and talking away to them. i'm leaving the dudd eggs in tho, to keep her rooted until it's time to move. LOL

i like sandhill and think they sell quality birds for a reasonable price. we also buy seeds from them (heirloom) and have saved and replanted the seed. our original cubalayas came from sandhill. post some pics of your dorkings when they grow up. at gilmanor we will be picking up an asil cock and possibly an american guinea hog. we will be bringing these and more:

Last edited:
Hey folks,

In addition to a couple of SFH, I will be looking for some blue wheaten, blue & splash ameraucanas, and some cream legbars. My hatch in cream legbars a week and a half ago only resulted in two pullets. I would like to get a couple more pullets and a couple of roos to go with these girls.

My girls are laying like crazy, so if you want eggs in the future, just let me know. (Or I could ship 'em tomorrow - you'd probably get them Saturday at the latest and just stick them in as soon as they get there. One day shouldn't cause a problem.    (Hatchaholic enabler here!!!)

I appreciate the offer but I'll just wait till gilmanor. I'll make sure I get there early. I don't need anymore than 8 chicks. I'll pm you as it gets closer.

gggrrrr my current four girls keep finding new places to lay their eggs. today I found six eggs in my childrens play house...any suggestions on how to keep them laying in their coop???

gggrrrr my current four girls keep finding new places to lay their eggs. today I found six eggs in my childrens play house...any suggestions on how to keep them laying in their coop???

Mine play hide and seek all the time. They all choose the same secret spot each day, but the secret spots change from day to day. It's not hard for me to find them now that I'm on to them, but at first it was. :p

I posted this little thing on the Facebook VA page, but thought I'd try here!

I'm in Roanoke and I have this little chick, just over 4 weeks now. It has Slipped Achilles Tendon (info here) and we've known for a couple weeks now...but someone local recommended us to "wait it out" because it was something they would get over. But today I've realized its SAT and so something that needs care and can hopefully be corrected! So anywhoo...it's free if anyone local has the time to nurture it.

Last edited:
well, my broody experiment was a failure. at least with that girl... so the new dorklings are in the brooder inside, she's back on her dudd eggs and the 3 sfh chicks and 4 other oddballs have taken up residence in that pen for now.

supermomma was booted out of her pen last night, by way of a dog crate where the doghouse was, and she took everyone to bed in there, and got relocated to the horse trailer last night. well tonight, all of them were in the horse trailer just fine on their own, so now momma's pen can get utilized for someone else. maybe that broody i found up the hill sitting on about 20 eggs taht are at least a week along, if not more.

i have about 4 other girls that are awol, that i didn't realize were missing until tonight LOL. found my bantam blrw girl in another doghouse (where eggs tend to hide) tonight, as well. plus then there's the 3 dorking girls that are taking up nests in the egg house, and one of my younger mille fleur bantam cochin girls.

story of my life... when i want eggs, everyone's broody or on strike. when i don't need the eggs, they lay like mad.

Back
Top Bottom