Virginia

Hey Virginians!
Just randomly asking, I am not at this time planning to act on it but is anyone from Stafford, Virginia? Do you have roosters? Are we allowed to? I will eventually go look it up, just wondering if anyone out there has experience.
I think there is a swap group on Facebook up that way. Gilmanor or something like that . Check it out, i bet they know.

Let me know how looking it up goes. I just tried to find an official answer in the ordinances and I can’t find anything. I’m finding it impossible to find anything. I’m finding different things people are saying but nothing from the county. I’ve heard people say everything from you have to have 5 acres do you have chickens you have to have 3 acres to have chickens to you could have chickens no matter what to You can’t have chickens it all. I tried to look up the ones for Spotsylvania and couldn’t find anything. The only reason I know Spotsylvania it’s because they recently changed it and it was a big deal. I’m dizzy now. I got lost in this black hole of county ordinances. It was scary in there. LOL
Hey Virginians!
Just randomly asking, I am not at this time planning to act on it but is anyone from Stafford, Virginia? Do you have roosters? Are we allowed to? I will eventually go look it up, just wondering if anyone out there has experience.
You can’t have chickens it all

I think there is a swap group on Facebook up that way. Gilmanor or something like that . Check it out, i bet they know.
That is cool that there is something up this way! We are in farm country. Well...what’s left of it. Unfortunately I don’t do Facebook. Not for many years now. I can’t say I miss it... until something like this comes up.

I think it depends on where you live. I am not sure subdivisions would allow them. But if you have some land, I would think yes. We live in Fredericksburg right off of 17. We have 5 acres. However we have never owned a Rooster.

I think it depends on where you live. I am not sure subdivisions would allow them. But if you have some land, I would think yes. We live in Fredericksburg right off of 17. We have 5 acres. However we have never owned a Rooster.
That’s awesome! We are off 17 in Stafford. We own about 1.25 acres and are not in a neighborhood. Our neighbor on one side is a farmer so good there. The other side should be ok but I’ll make sure I give them peace offering eggs.

Last edited:
The rules are so weird though. Counties around us and some divisions in our counties require you to have at least 5 acres to have any chickens. Just trying to find which and where they are. I was just on another thread and was told to find out what zoning I’m in. I’m in A3. Once you look at the zoning map and find out which when you were in you can look up the rules and then see what the county defines as agriculture. Some of the rules are so silly like in Spotsylvania the way I was reading it you can’t till your soil For a garden for vegetables and less you have 2 acres or more. Some of these places have the oddest rules. I feel like if you live off a dirt road and your neighbors are fine with it what’s the problem as long as they’re well taken care of. And I know they will be

The rules are so weird though. Counties around us and some divisions in our counties require you to have at least 5 acres to have any chickens. Just trying to find which and where they are. I was just on another thread and was told to find out what zoning I’m in. I’m in A3. Once you look at the zoning map and find out which when you were in you can look up the rules and then see what the county defines as agriculture. Some of the rules are so silly like in Spotsylvania the way I was reading it you can’t till your soil For a garden for vegetables and less you have 2 acres or more. Some of these places have the oddest rules. I feel like if you live off a dirt road and your neighbors are fine with it what’s the problem as long as they’re well taken care of. And I know they will be
I just looked and we are in A1 and it says agricultural. I think that’s a good sign for at least keeping hens.

Back
Top Bottom