Virginia

Pics
Quote:
I am in Caroline. If you want more chicks, let me know.
big_smile.png

Dang! Dang! Dang! And other unsavory, non kid friendly words. We lost one of my Maran's hen to another stinkin' fox!
barnie.gif
She was a Whitmore girl from up in Maryland. A couple years old, but i really liked her...ya know? I was out running errands and DH was upstairs sleeping since he is working nights and he hears a chicken commotion and the labrador starts going bonkers in the house. Says she wanted to rip the door down. By the time he gets outside in his underwear with rifle in hand, it was already gone and a pile of feathers right in front of the house! The crappy thing is they were in theor brand new secure run, just didn't have the door finished. The wire was across the opening but DH thinks the fox spooked the birds into pushing the bottom of the wire out and get out. There was a large piece of wood pushed up against it, but it wasn't enough.
somad.gif
Don't worry, Dh will get even. he will have the deer stand up in a tree and it will come back. There will be something waiting for it. He has shot 3 already this year. (in season only)

The fox population is large where I am too. I, personally, haven't seen much action this year but, we can hear them. I have horses and turkeys (which can scare me with those big, blue warty faces) and dogs and am thinking maybe they're staying away... but, I don't want to get too comfortable, ya know... I've been leaving the coops doors that lead into the runs open at night
hide.gif
Im sure now that I wrote this, Im testing fate.... better get them tonight
roll.png

Will from Whitmore Farms will be attending our swap in June http://mdpoultryswap.blogspot.com/ I could ask him to bring a replacement or I think he'll have chicks.

I just started a facebook page to help keep us all in the loop as far as area shows, swaps and other farm related functions. Feel free to post yours. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Maryland-Poultry-Swap-Farmers-Market/131707836905457?sk=wall We're compiling THE LIST now and will post it on the thread in a few days.

Good Luck with that fox! Sorry it took out your favorite bird... isn't that always how it goes
roll.png

Quote:
Hi Orange Ribbon, we are just down the road from you in Shawsville! I don't know anything about where to get poultry or even what can be shipped in or out of the state. I just got a barnyard mix of eggs from some homeschool friends and hatched our flock. We ended up with 10 chicks out of 17 eggs, so that wasn't too bad for a first time. Although 4 of them are roos, 2 is a deffinate and the other 2 are still iffy.
lol.png

I wish there was somewhere around here to have a poultry swap or something, but I don't know of any place. I know you can go to the Farmer's Markets sometimes and find something, but there are rules there for what the distance is that you have to be from the other venders.

Anyway, welcome neighbor.

Quote:
Virginians are sort of fortunate in that you're testing regs for selling are not as intense at other states... though you're regs for buying are rather more intense. I know that when I was selling hatching eggs, I not only needed to be NPIP to ship into VA but, that I needed to be certified by the state of VA by filing a permit with the state vet. Some breeders that don't even sell to VA anymore because of the red tape.

I know that at our swap we're having in MD, we are all required to be NPIP and all birds will be tested for AI 10 days prior than swap so ALL birds will be legal to travel anywhere. It's a catch 22 because it makes it harder on all of us as small farmers. We don't have the time or money (in some states the testing is free but, not in MD) to deal with all the testing and it inhibits sales in that regard but, the attention to biosecurity is always a positive aspect. I've learned a lot about poultry sicknesses and how they can be spread and it has helped keep my birds safe. I do exhibit my birds so I'm more at risk but, all the testing, scrutiny and good quarantining procedures have helped me be on top of things.

Quote:
There's a breeder about an hour away from Richmond (so not awfully far from Charlottesville) who sells lemon-blue (which if bred a certain way can give splash as well, I believe) LF Cochins (not a standard LF color, but they're very pretty): http://bishopschickens.com/

Also
, I ordered 6 cochin and 6 Ameraucana chics from them, but I don't have a ship date yet. They're straight run, so I'll probably end up with extras if you'd be interested. I live in Patrick Co., VA, which is around 1 and 1/2 hours south of Roanoke. I think you're closer to the people I'm buying from, but if you'd like, I could let you know when I get them and when I can tell how many roos and hens I have, and we could work something out to meet in Roanoke or somewhere. Right now I'm just hoping I don't end up with all roosters, which is always a worry when I have to get straight run chicks.

Anybody interested in any extra roosters I might have when I finally get them?
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
There's a breeder about an hour away from Richmond (so not awfully far from Charlottesville) who sells lemon-blue (which if bred a certain way can give splash as well, I believe) LF Cochins (not a standard LF color, but they're very pretty): http://bishopschickens.com/

Also
, I ordered 6 cochin and 6 Ameraucana chics from them, but I don't have a ship date yet. They're straight run, so I'll probably end up with extras if you'd be interested. I live in Patrick Co., VA, which is around 1 and 1/2 hours south of Roanoke. I think you're closer to the people I'm buying from, but if you'd like, I could let you know when I get them and when I can tell how many roos and hens I have, and we could work something out to meet in Roanoke or somewhere. Right now I'm just hoping I don't end up with all roosters, which is always a worry when I have to get straight run chicks.

Anybody interested in any extra roosters I might have when I finally get them?
roll.png

I'll trade you some young roosters for your roosters.
gig.gif
I'm so NOT funny. We are over-run with little roosters. They are probably going to have to be dinner for someone.
tongue.png

Hello all, I am new to the chicken scene and my daughter and I are looking for some. I am in Powhatan which is about an hour west of richmond. Anyone have any chics for sale? I am looking for Barred Rocks but may look at other breeds as well. Shoot me an email if you have any, [email protected]. Thanks.
Scott

we have sold out of chicks and hens for the spring. have plenty of roosters though. will have some chicks this fall: wheaton cubalayas and black australorps. if anyone needs a good black australorp roo , take your pick for $5.

Back
Top Bottom