Virginia

Pics
Quote:
Even luckier for me- I'm about 20 minutes from Unionville
lol.png

Tom's birds are unbelievable...tom's knowledge awesome as well...just moved next door to him in Jan...perfect neighbor :)

Do any of you fellow Virginians happen to raise Modern Game Bantams? I have some Old English Bantams, but the Moderns are really interesting looking with their road runner legs, and I was trying to find out if anyone local (Patrick, Henry, and Franklin counties, or the Roanoke or Danville area) ever has any to sell.

I doubt I'll do any more hatchery orders this year (I've got one breeder order of a few cochins, Ameraucanas, and BLRWs coming at the end of the summer, plus the 8 Gold Brabanter chicks, 2 Quail Old English chicks, and 7 Barred Rock packing peanut chicks - which I'll either have to eat or find homes for - that I got from Ideal a couple weeks ago). I may end up just waiting until next year when my flock has been scaled back again and order some from a hatchery, along with some more Old English Game Bantam varieties I'd like and a few D'uccles and Buff Laced Polish. Of course, my new "mega-coop", as I like to call it, will be done by then, and I'll have lots of space to add more chickens. lol! I have a bantam coop already, but I may section off part of the new coop for more of the little buggers. The game bantams are just so cute and fun to watch.
tongue.png

Also, does anyone around breed Gold Brabanters? I'm planning to breed mine next year to try and improve the quality and would like to find someone who I may be able to share eggs/birds with in the future when I need to add new blood to my Brabanter flock. I "may" work with the cochins, BLRWs, and Ameraucanas, but right now I'm more interested in breeding the Brabanters (the others are probably just going to be eye candy for me to enjoy for the most part. lol!).

Last edited:
There is going to be a Chicken Swap at TSC
248 Amelon Sq
Madison Heights, VA 24572
(434) 929-6730

June 28th 2011

I plan to attend. I will have some Silkied Seramas from Pixie Chick lines, I may have some Mille Fleur d'uccle chicks available, I'd need to know beforehand so I can hold them and not sell them locally and I do have a young Mille Fleur d'uccle Cockerel available $5. I will also have available 8 Arch Angels Pigeons ($15 ea, I will do better on the group of 8) and a few ring neck doves (3 for $10). Other doves maybe available...I will know more this weekend. Check here for last minute available birds: http://www.saynora.com/saynora_farms_bantams_for_sale.htm or email at [email protected]

Last edited:
New Kent, VA here, and I have a question. I have a huge pen with a tree in the middle for escaping predators.. I had a mother hen and 8 chicks.. This morning the chicks are gone!! If nothin has eaten them, will they come back? Or does everyone feel all 8 were dinner? It's hard for me to believe... There is no roof

Hi Gingertoots,

My father-in-law lost 9 chicks to one snake in a single serving. Snake was too fat to leave before he was discovered. So sorry for your loss.

Quote:
I agree with the others that something ate them. Chicks are very easy prey, and they could've been taken by any number of things. I'm guessing if there's no sign of any of them, then it probably was a snake. Even if the run had been covered, a snake could still get through wire if the holes are big enough. If it ate that many chicks, though, there's a chance, like someone else said, that it may be too large to get back out, so you may want to be on the lookout for a snake in your run as well. Without a cover, a hawk could get to them, but one hawk wouldn't be able to take them all at once. If any of them are in hiding, however, they should show up when they feel more secure and calm.

Back
Top Bottom