Virginia

Pics
Thanks! I can't wait until they start laying! I have worked hard trying to pick just the right ones for my breeding program. I have a roo who is ready to start breeding....he just hasn't figured out which end he is supposed to be on. I am hoping his head fuzz is in the way and he cant see that he is in the wrong spot.
th.gif

Quote:
Ginger, I live in Powhatan, but I'd be willing to meet you somewhere. I have a young (three-month-old) Barred Rock roo that I need to rehome. So far, he's a real sweetheart (he's fallen asleep on me while I held him, before), but he's the low rooster of three at my place.

PM me if you're interested.

I live about an hour and a half south of Roanoke, not sure how close to New Kent, but I've got some extra roosters as well. I have a year old mixed breed rooster who is very docile; He's never shown any aggression whatsoever, but he was pretty rough on the 3 hens he had (too much mating) so is living bachelor life at the moment, but if you have a flock of 10 or so, he should be fine. I also have some 4 week old Barred Rock cockerels (6 of them from what I can tell) that came as packing peanuts with a hatchery order. I'm thinking of keeping one that has lighter (grayish) barring, but the other 5 are up for grabs. An old farmer friend of my dad's said he'd take my extra roosters for eating, but if I can find homes for some of them that'd be great. I could meet if it's not too far, too.

I know you only wanted larger breed rooster, but just in case anyone is interested, I also have a black bantam mixed (OEGB x Cochin) rooster who is around 9 weeks old. He likes to sit on my shoulder and just chill. Right now he's in the coop with the hens and his OEGB daddy, but I'm not sure that situation will work in the long-term. Daddy roo can have a bit of an attitude about other roosters.

This is my year old rooster. I don't have any pics of the Barred Rock chicks to post at the moment. Also, before anyone asks, yes, those are plastic bags hanging over the back of his pen. We put some huge ones over the top of the pen to keep the rain out.
roll.png

53351_rooster1.jpg

Last edited:
What pretty roosters you all have posted
smile.png
Glad my DH hasn't seen them .He falls for all the roosters.
I am getting things ready for the swap Saturday.Looks like there will be pullets and hens at this one ! The lady hosting this one has Sl wyandottes,Ameracunas, and a few other breeds of the LF.She will be bringing a few BLR Wyandotte Roos also.

Quote:
What kind are you hatching? I love hatching eggs and I am just getting good at it
smile.png
I planing on keeping my flock going by hatching my own eggs. It just took me along time getting the birds I wanted .When should you replace your older hens? I have heard a year but I have also heard that purebreds will lay good for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom