Virginia

wee.gif

4 Chickens ----->>>>>4 EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(first time ever)
yesss.gif

easter egger's egg today is green not blue like last 2 days, it is also now smooth and not pebbly so this might b what her eggs look like now that her system is running. Also surprising because all the chickens are soaked but would rather be in the rain than their warm coop other than to lay eggs.

Last edited:
can you tell i have a 'thing' for chipmunk stripes? 8) even the blondies in the left feed pan have faint stripes... think a couple of the little'uns might be bantam ee's... nothing else i can think of that comes in 'chipmunk' pattern has dark legs.
They are adorable :) look a lot like the chicks we saw for sale at Tractor Supply in Fredericksburg the other day.

ok got a few cute pics... and some sfh babies (2 so far) and youngsters (4) here's ALL the babies hatched so far one dork/ee baby with 'attitude' a faceplant... the buff baby woke just as the camera started to focus... the dork was OUT! and now my new SFH guys. (and gals)... blue and white uncrested hen (who wouldn't stand up like a normal chicken) blue mille fleur crested hen (or should be when she's growed up) black neck crested roo red neck crested roo. ok make your jokes... think i like him best. 8)
I love the dork with attitude :) and the red crested roo is very handsome.

:weee 4 Chickens ----->>>>>4 EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! (first time ever) :yesss: easter egger's egg today is green not blue like last 2 days, it is also now smooth and not pebbly so this might b what her eggs look like now that her system is running. Also surprising because all the chickens are soaked but would rather be in the rain than their warm coop other than to lay eggs.
Very pretty line up :) congrats on the eggs!

Wanted to check in from Northern VA. We started with a small flock in October and are looking to hatch a few more this spring.

We have 2 RSL, 2 EE, and 1 RIR.

Any recommended breeds for our area? Ideally we would want something that lays dark brown or colored eggs.

Thanks.

Wanted to check in from Northern VA.  We started with a small flock in October and are looking to hatch a few more this spring. 

We have 2 RSL, 2 EE, and 1 RIR.

Any recommended breeds for our area?  Ideally we would want something that lays dark brown or colored eggs.

Thanks.

You could go with Welsummer or Marans for dark brown. I've been trying for awhile now to get a dark layer. Finally managed to hatch one Blue Splash Copper Maran. She just started laying a couple of weeks ago. She's a sweet and large girl.

We have a couple of Marans....just for the eggs. and I have really liked them. Also have three Welsummers. We named them the Heathers...if that gives you an idea about their personality. {We also have a very nice EE named Veronica} Honestly, Virginia is an easy place to raise chickens. Temperate climate. so really it is all about your preferences.

We have a couple of Marans....just for the eggs. and I have really liked them. Also have three Welsummers. We named them the Heathers...if that gives you an idea about their personality. {We also have a very nice EE named Veronica} Honestly, Virginia is an easy place to raise chickens. Temperate climate. so really it is all about your preferences.
yup. biggest problem i have right now with combs, is all the roos feeling their oats and challenging each other. so i've got a number with bloody faces & combs. they're all free ranging tho, so have room to run if the urge takes them. it hasn't. LOL but other than a week or 2 out of each year, they all get along wonderfully. just this time of year it's time to see if the top dog is STILL top dog. LOL

yup. biggest problem i have right now with combs, is all the roos feeling their oats and challenging each other. so i've got a number with bloody faces & combs. they're all free ranging tho, so have room to run if the urge takes them. it hasn't. LOL but other than a week or 2 out of each year, they all get along wonderfully. just this time of year it's time to see if the top dog is STILL top dog. LOL

Yes. Have been having the same happening here. My younger and larger cockerel took over this past weekend. I guess he got tired of the silky roo getting all the girls and finally made a stand. Both were bloodied in the evening on the roost and it looked like I had been slaughtering chickens in there. The next morning the silky roo wasn't nearly as pushy and the young Maran cockerel was walking around all puffed up with himself.

Back
Top Bottom