Virginia

Sorry about that, jmarie. That's the way it goes sometimes... if you have livestock, then sooner or later you will have dead stock.
hmm.png

sigh
lost my daughters favorite chicken today from being egg bound. I was going to cull her but was going to wait after Gilmanor to have her disappear so the distraction of some new chickens softened the blow a bit. my other 3 all lay great eggs but she always had odd, super huge thin shelled eggs, followed by fart eggs and then last week all eggs stopped completely. some of eggs would break as soon as you touched them, she was less than a year old and had started laying only since Jan. I could not get her to pass anything and could not feel anything.
That chicken loved to be carried around and my eldest said that "henry" had crunched when she had jumped up to be held this weekend. I did the rubber glove thing not could not feel anything, did warm water clean of vent area.... I did not want to put pressure on her belly for fear of those thin shelled eggs breaking and made a no holding rule.....she was acting normal all day yesterday.

My regret is that I waited to cull, her system has never been normal and the other chickens all lay great eggs so I do not think it is a diet problem. she had a great personality but I regret that she died probably from infection instead of me helping her along.
So sorry to hear it. I hope your daughter gets a new chicken that loves to be held. chickens like that are wonderful.

Bulldogma,

Thanks for posting those pics of your SFH roos! Of the three SFH I hatched out, it appears that one of mine may be a blue-based rooster similar to what you posted. He is 6.5 weeks so his comb is slightly larger than his hatch mates.

This picture was taken on April 24.

Bulldogma,

Thanks for posting those pics of your SFH roos! Of the three SFH I hatched out, it appears that one of mine may be a blue-based rooster similar to what you posted. He is 6.5 weeks so his comb is slightly larger than his hatch mates.

This picture was taken on April 24.
don't get your hopes up, but at that age, the roo i picked up from bulldogma had way more comb and wattle development... my first one i thought was a roo because of a larger comb has remained pullet (for now).

ok. well stubborn broodies keep changing my mind for me. LOL

i was going to give one of my dorking hens some 2 week old dorking chicks. yeah right. every time i open the nest today, she spazzes and runs all over the place. so much for the calm girl she was yesterday. so i think all my cochin and dorking (and 4 of bulldogma's sfh chicks) are just going to get the pen to themselves with a heat bulb in the house... that puts me down to spare heat emitter right now, since i had one fail yesterday (but caught in time before it caused a fire!). time to order some more i guess... the chinese ones don't seem to last as long as the others, but i much prefer them over light bulbs, for sure. my chicks have a normal day/night cycle and i think it is better for them overall.

just had another momentary spaz on my own part... the dog just ran in and had one toenail leaking blood all over the place! glad i just bought a new bottle of superglue. dabbed some on the toenail and within seconds it was done leaking!

I've decided superglue (the gel type) is the #1 item in my first aid kit. LOL #2 item is a bottle of Maker's Mark. for ME once the crisis has been averted. LOL

Back
Top Bottom