Virginia

Hey, just lettin everybody know. I'm in King and Queen County, St. Stephens Church area. I breed New Hampshires (German line), Stukel Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds (Roy Autrey line), Delawares (from various breeders), bantam barred rocks and bantam buff brahmas. Will soon be NPIP. Right now a lot of the hens are going broody so hatching eggs are getting scarce. But I'll have plenty of young birds available by the end of the summer. I always have a spot at gilmanor.

Wonder if the plentiful cicada crop will lead to less four- footed predator pressure this spring?...

Last year this time I was having all kinds of problems. It's been quiet so far.
fl.gif

I have yet to see cicada. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad. I don't want them to eat my garden and on the flip side I'd love to watch my chickens run all over the place chasing them.

I have yet to see cicada.  I don't know if that's a good thing or bad.  I don't want them to eat my garden and on the flip side I'd love to watch my chickens run all over  the place chasing them.

They're here. There are cicada holes all over the property. Haven't seen or heard them yet, but they're on their way.

They don't eat anything now. But they do damage hardwood shoots with their egglaying. I'm in southern Louisa Co. Over the past week I've been gathering between 100 - 150 in the mornings after I feed the pigs. Takes about 10 minutes. Distributing them between about 70 adult birds. takes about 3 minutes, lol.

seems to me I remember ours came out in droves in 05... haven't seen them since, but I heard them tons last summer north of here. maybe those were locusts? don't remember.

I DO remember the masses of grubs that came out early and littered the pavement at work, drawing lots of skunks in to clean up. LOL

a friend nicknamed em 'crunchbugs'. his dogs loved em.

seems to me I remember ours came out in droves in 05... haven't seen them since, but I heard them tons last summer north of here. maybe those were locusts? don't remember.

I DO remember the masses of grubs that came out early and littered the pavement at work, drawing lots of skunks in to clean up. LOL

a friend nicknamed em 'crunchbugs'. his dogs loved em.
Much of the NRV and Southwest VA had Cicadas last year ("Brood 1"). I don't that we'll see (m)any this year as ''Brood 2'' seems to be centralized a bit east of us. Maybe a random gathering, but not expecting much (unfortunately for the bug loving kid in our house). We'll also have Cicadas in 2017 (''Brood 6")

Last edited:
ok, for another dose of serious cuteness, here goes...

thank god chickens can't count. LOL

and to answer the question... before anyone asks... is 42. i think. for now?

she's got:
2 mottled cochins about 3 weeks old
1 black & white EE same age (all 3 from gilmanor)
5 sfh hatched 5/11
8 mille fleur cochins (5/11)
2 weeble EE's (5/11)
10 dark Cornish or blrw (can't tell apart, 5/11)
7 more mille fleur cochins (5/16)
7 dorking/ee (5/16)

i had today's hatch in a small bucket, sitting below the edge of the brooder while i readied the other brooder, momma's door was open (frequently stays that way). she hops up on the edge, looks down at the new babies, and immediately tried to get into the bucket to sit on them.

i asked her if she was sure, she insisted she had plenty of room for them and whatever else i hatch out in the next few days. so in they went.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom