Virginia

Be careful about relocating foxes. Here in Maryland it is against the law. The State of Maryland issued me a permit to shoot on site. Apparently they are more worried about rabies than preserving foxes. I assume Virginia may be the same. You also don't want to release a fox and make someone else have your problem. I just lock up my babies in the coop at night.

Be careful about relocating foxes. Here in Maryland it is against the law. The State of Maryland issued me a permit to shoot on site. Apparently they are more worried about rabies than preserving foxes. I assume Virginia may be the same. You also don't want to release a fox and make someone else have your problem. I just lock up my babies in the coop at night.
IMO relocating a livestock predator is simply giving someone else your problems... here in VA, if it's killing livestock, it's a pest and can be dealt with immediately. which I do.

that law also applies to dogs btw.

Last edited:
We live in Fairfax County and I don't think I can trap or shot or even hurt the native animals legally on my property, so my best option is deter him from coming again. FWIW I also sprayed some Coyote/Fox urine mix that we use for our gardens around the perimeter of the run; its God awful but hopefully the odor of another animal will be enough scare him off.

We live in Fairfax County and I don't think I can trap or shot or even hurt the native animals legally on my property, so my best option is deter him from coming again. FWIW I also sprayed some Coyote/Fox urine mix that we use for our gardens around the perimeter of the run; its God awful but hopefully the odor of another animal will be enough scare him off.

You can't discharge a gun in FFX county unless you live on 20 acres or more. But if you do you most certainly can shoot them with a shotgun or .22 cal or smaller gun in certain areas of western and southern FFX county. You need to get a permit from the police to do it though.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/living/animals/wildlife/management/deer-management/options.htm

Trapping is completely legal though and as ki4got said if it is killing your livestock it can be killed out of season. Here are the regs on nuisance foxes in VA:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/problems/foxes/

if it's bothering livestock of any kind, including chickens, yes, you can (kill I that is). that's a state law, not a local ordinance. and live traps are permissible everywhere for pest animals (coons, possums) because of disease transmission and nuisance issues (trash knocked over & such)... FEEDING native livestock is illegal. so if they're eating your chickens you could be in trouble because you're feeding them. LOL so even if you have to get a permit for shooting, trap it and keep a full rain barrel for disposing of it.

I drop the trap in the river and leave it for 10 minutes or more. my drive crosses the north fork of the Roanoke, so it's convenient for me. just tie a rope to the tree drop the trap in and walk away. dispose of the body later.

Last edited:
Ok I got some pics today. A little shady but i tried.

Oh if you were only north of the border I would
love.gif
to buy them!!! They are beautiful, love those tufts
droolin.gif

Thank you, Flat Rock Farm.
The tuft ones are the hardest one to raise, lethal genes kill a lot of chicks just before hatch or in the first few days of life. It is so disheartening, until you get a good one like my avatar pic, she is named Scarface because when she was little her hatch-mates ripped out her tufts and she was bleeding bad, we separated her and she recovered. now she stays broody and wont give me eggs to raise but will hatch and raise any eggs she can find.

Yes know all about the lethal gene.........I have hatched so many this year and finally got a double tufted/rumpless bird. First time I have ever been glad it's a cockerel as he will be able to cover many hens. Hopefully leading to more tufted offspring. My tufted hen has a tail so it was trying to get the chick with the tufts and rumpless, WOW was it hard. Oh well guess it's just the fun of having the breed.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom