Virginia

Karen,

Are your bantam cochins noisy? I picked up a pair off a lady in Botetourt selling them. He crows nonstop and has faught every one of my roos to the point of blood. Not sure if this is normal bringing a new guy in or not? He is separated from the flock and seems to be hating life! Thoughts?

smile.png
Jami

mine are peaceful and fairly quiet... then again he was hatched here and trains all cockerels he comes in contact with that he's the boss. LOL most just ignore him, but don't tell him that.

Hey all!

Raising cluckers in the middle of nowhere in particular south of Roanoke part of VA. My flock of backyard misfits includes Welsummers, Orpingtons, RIRs, Bresses, and mixes of the previous. I'm looking forward to interacting with y'all.

Hey all!

Raising cluckers in the middle of nowhere in particular south of Roanoke part of VA. My flock of backyard misfits includes Welsummers, Orpingtons, RIRs, Bresses, and mixes of the previous. I'm looking forward to interacting with y'all.
frow.gif
From Botetourt County! How do you like your welsummers? I have two hatchery wellies that I adore. Both went broody this past summer and had successful hatches. One is still mothering her seven 6 week old chicks. The other hatched guineas, which she still hangs out with after going back to laying when they were 4 weeks. The remainder of my flock consists of mostly easter eggers and easter egger mixes, with single LF blue Cochin, white leghorn and New hampshire hens in there as well.

We are in the process of building our big "permanent" coop and I am already dreaming of what kinds of chicks I am going to get next summer!

Hey all!

Hey, I have your trays. I will not be atthe swap. As much as I live the swaps. I gave the 4 juveniles and the parents to Tina and aince ai kept giving away instead of selling I have nothing left to sell. Isn't that the way I sometimes go.

Hey Woodsdweller, I have your trays, not forgotten about them. I will not be going to Roanoke swap bc I gave the 4 Juveniles and the parents to Tina when she is moved and set up. I have gave others away so now I have nothing left to sell, Isn't that the way? Hope to see you soon. Bye ReMe
And I know your a hobbiest an not running a business.

Last edited:
Quote:
I like the 3 Welsummers I have. 2 hens, 1 roo. They went broody and now I have 2 more Welsummers also 2 WelsummerxRIR and 1 WelsummerxBO. One was/is a good mother clucker and watched over her chicks for about 5 weeks, the other, not so much. I had to keep putting her back on her eggs, had to help 2 hatch and am still deciding if her week old chicks need to be orphans.
roll.png
After freezer camp is full I'll be looking for Speckled Sussex, more Orpingtons and maybe an Australorp or 3.

How big is the hardly permanent coop gonna be? For some reason coops never seem to be big enough.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Hey Woodsdweller, I have your trays, not forgotten about them. I will not be going to Roanoke swap bc I gave the 4 Juveniles and the parents to Tina when she is moved and set up. I have gave others away so now I have nothing left to sell, Isn't that the way? Hope to see you soon. Bye ReMe
And I know your a hobbiest an not running a business.

Thanks ReMe, If you don't need them gone soon I'll catch up with you whenever I have to go out your way or if you're going up Roanoke way sometime I could meet you along the way. I way..ved in yer general direction last week, but didn't have time to stop and it was way late when I was heading back. I imagine I'll catch up to you sometime unless I get waylaid.
big_smile.png

I get the feeling your place is a like foster home for cluckers until they adopted.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Thanks ReMe, If you don't need them gone soon I'll catch up with you whenever I have to go out your way or if you're going up Roanoke way sometime I could meet you along the way. I way..ved in yer general direction last week, but didn't have time to stop and it was way late when I was heading back. I imagine I'll catch up to you sometime unless I get waylaid.    :D  

I get the feeling your place is a like foster home for cluckers until they adopted.  :lau  
My problem is I sometimes over pay and I also like to share alot so I give away ALOT.

Last edited:
I like the 3 Welsummers I have. 2 hens, 1 roo. They went broody and now I have 2 more Welsummers also 2 WelsummerxRIR and 1 WelsummerxBO. One was/is a good mother clucker and watched over her chicks for about 5 weeks, the other, not so much. I had to keep putting her back on her eggs, had to help 2 hatch and am still deciding if her week old chicks need to be orphans.
roll.png
After freezer camp is full I'll be looking for Speckled Sussex, more Orpingtons and maybe an Australorp or 3.

How big is the hardly permanent coop gonna be? For some reason coops never seem to be big enough.
tongue.png

The new coop is 10 x 10. We laugh because we have been planning to build this coop for the last two years. It's not far from being done now though, and will last half of forever!

Back
Top Bottom