Virginia

Just FYI no one in Virginia is mg/ms clean. People are trying but it always comes up negative. So if someone tells you they are mg and ms clean I would ask for papers because it's almost a garauntee that it's bull!

Just FYI no one in Virginia is mg/ms clean. People are trying but it always comes up negative. So if someone tells you they are mg and ms clean I would ask for papers because it's almost a garauntee that it's bull!
i am not jumping through all those hoops and costs to prove it to you but my birds are not carriers of mg or ms or anything else. i have had them and bred them long enough to know. super healthy

MG and MS are usually found in our environment, mainly the dirt. so if you free range even once the Luke of your birds being carriers is very high. I am no saying anyone's birds are sick. I actually think it is crazy anyone in Virginia even wants to try and get the certificate. But again realize that just because birds don't get sick does not mean they are not carriers or that they have not been exposed to it and now carry anti bodies. But that doesn't mean any of us are managing anything wrong. It's just the way it is.

2 VAC 5-1140-90. Poultry.

A. Pullorum-typhoid.
Hatching eggs and poultry shall not be import­ed into the Common­wealth of Virginia unless such eggs or poul­try origi­nate exclu­sively from flocks participating in the National Poultry Improve­ment Plan (NPIP) or the National Turkey Im­provement Plan (NTIP) (Code of Feder­al Reg­ulations, Title 9, Chapter 1, Parts 1 to 199). These programs shall be under the supervision of the official state agency of NPIP or NTIP, the livestock health offi­cial, or other authorized government agency of the state of ori­gin certifying them to be free of Pullorum-typhoid.

B. Mycoplasma gallisepticum.
Hatching eggs and poultry shall not be import­ed into the Common­wealth of Virginia unless such eggs or poul­try origi­nate from flocks that are des­ignated free of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum by the livestock health offi­cial of the state of origin. Each im­porter of hatching eggs or poultry into Virginia shall secure from the State Veterinarian an approv­al number, after having pro­vided evidence that the flocks of origin are free of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. This approval number shall appear on shipping labels or contain­ers of each lot shipped into Virginia.

D. Exceptions.
This regulation shall not apply to hatching eggs or poul­try pass­ing directly through the Commonwealth of Virginia in in­terstate commerce, nor to poultry import­ed into the Common­wealth of Vir­ginia for immediate slaughter and consigned directly to a poultry process­ing establishment that is ap­proved and inspected by the United States Department of Ag­riculture or by the Vir­ginia De­partment of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
Thank you

It is a hot one so take precautions for you and your chickens. Now is a good time to mix up the electrolytes for your chickens drinking water. An freeze some thing for their water. I am using frozen bags of great value corn today. Will be freezing water to add to their waterers tomorrow. Have a great day and stay out of the direct sun if you can.

Hey! I'm looking for recommendations on places to buy chicken coops in the local area. We live in Fredericksburg and are moving to a new house nearby in a month where we can finally have chickens! From what I have seen there are many small coops, but I am looking for something large, that could fit at least 15 to 20 chickens, as I expect to build up of the first year. Specific places to buy or maybe if you used a local person to build yours would be amazing. Thanks so much
If it is at all possible, just build your own, buying them is such a waste of money. We have built all our coops using re purposed material and some new things. 8'x8' is a good size with just a little more room to grow. And we elevated ours off the ground 18" and I think it really cuts down on predators.

Hey! I'm looking for recommendations on places to buy chicken coops in the local area. We live in Fredericksburg and are moving to a new house nearby in a month where we can finally have chickens! From what I have seen there are many small coops, but I am looking for something large, that could fit at least 15 to 20 chickens, as I expect to build up of the first year. Specific places to buy or maybe if you used a local person to build yours would be amazing. Thanks so much

We have gone three routes for coops and are about to try a fourth.

Our first one was a pre-fab while we were figuring out what we wanted for the "real" coop. To this day we use the pre fab as a brooder but we have had to replace the cheap materials constantly. Recommend don't do pre fab long term.

Next we went on Craigslist and purchased from a guy who is in NC but for $75 he will deliver and set up in Virginia. One of his coops is the "homesteader" and it's a solid build and still going strong. It costs over a $1000 but at the time, we didn't have the time to build our own. He's still on Craigslist if you search.

Our third coop we built because I wanted one that holds 40 but my husband still moans about it. I'm the chicken person and knows what they need, can't have, etc., so my husband would get frustrated when he'd change the build and then I would say he couldn't. Lol. The coop turned out great but we are constantly having to change it a little bit here and there. If you have the time and expertise, I would recommend this route because it's cheaper.

Our fourth route: I wanted another coop and Costco had sheds with Windows on sale for $500. Almost the same price that we spent building our own so we are setting it up next weekend. We do have to build a base to lift it off the ground, but that shouldn't be to hard. We will replace the window coverings with chicken wire and make a pop up door with a run on the outside.

Good luck!

Ebay has coop Kits. Cheaper than TSC or Wally world on line for less. Even though it comes painted, paint it again anyways to protect and seal it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom