Virginia

Any Hampton Roads people out there!? I might be the only lunatic in Norfolk who owns chickens
1f602.png

Nope, you have another one here
263a.png

What is everybody's favorite livestock swap in SW VA parts? I want to make some additions to my flock, and I can't decide whether to go with shipped hatching eggs or see what I can find at a swap...I'm looking specifically for Black Copper Marans and Blue Ameraucanas.

What is everybody's favorite livestock swap in SW VA parts? I want to make some additions to my flock, and I can't decide whether to go with shipped hatching eggs or see what I can find at a swap...I'm looking specifically for Black Copper Marans and Blue Ameraucanas.
I'm not familiar with any reliable swaps around here. There may be some, but people mainly do larger livestock. Most of the TSC's around here (Christiansburg, Galax) have been getting in trouble for having their swaps out in the parking lots. With Marans and Ameraucanas in particular, if you're looking for good stock, buying shipping eggs might be your best bet.

I'm not familiar with any reliable swaps around here. There may be some, but people mainly do larger livestock. Most of the TSC's around here (Christiansburg, Galax) have been getting in trouble for having their swaps out in the parking lots. With Marans and Ameraucanas in particular, if you're looking for good stock, buying shipping eggs might be your best bet.
Christiansburg TSC stopped having theirs back in 2013 or 2014. Bc the Landlord Shelor did not
Want to be liable we were referred to as Flea market in the complaint. TSC wanted us, good for business and the Strip of green grass we parked on, the man that owned it said we were ok. But Shelor owned the parkinglot and there is the little road between TSC and the Strip of grass,...

Galax stopped having theirs bc another tenant in Strip Mall complained bc the seller of a shipment of birds to them was also In the parking lot selling for less; this is what I heard there) so the Land Lord stopped the animal Swaps in the parkinglot. hopefully since that tenent is moving on the landlord will have a change of heart and let us come bc TSC knows we are good for business.

Last edited:
Hello everybody.

Moving our family to Big Stone Gap, Va. in about 10 days. Relocating from Phoenix, Az. for my wife's new job. I am a stay at home Dad with a 7 month old boy named Sadler. I am a Blacksmith by trade when I'm not Mr. Mom.

We want to start a new flock of Delawares primarily and maybe some others for looks. Plus my Idaho Pasture Piglets will be along for the journey.

Any recommendations for good stock Delawares in the area or know where I should order from? Also any help with land for lease/rental/ land for sale big enough to farm on, please let me know.

Thanks all and I hope to internet meet you soon.

I have my son in chicken training right now.

Thanks for the livestock swap reccomendations and advice. I have a friend who might have some chicks, but I think I might go with hatching eggs. I'd still love to go to some swaps though.....

@K9Dave :frow Hi there! Nice to meet you, hope you find those chickens!

Back
Top Bottom