Virginia

I'm
Hi Dutchmother - I am new to the forum also and live in Augusta County.  Learned a lot on this site.  Are your chickens adult?  What kind?  
I'm not sure what kind yet. I think they're a mix. Is there such thing as mutts?
1f602.png
They were born around March 16-18, so they're getting feathers, but still have some fuzz, too.

Hey, all! I'm new to the forum. We just moved to Augusta County in September of 2015, and had a dozen chicks given to us last month. I know very little about chickens, but I'm excited to learn!

I'm from chesterfield county! My husband and I are first time chicken owners. We have 6 pullets.

We are moving to Va. in 7 days from Phoenix.

Congrats on the chicks. I have 2 pieces of advice as new chicken owners:

Ferment your feed and practice not buying more chicks now. They are like sugar candy or something to me, I just can't get enough of the little dinosaurs.

I am having the hardest time trying to find nice type Dominique. Do any of you know any breeders. Dominique are supposed to be nice, upright birds with tails that turn up. The only ones I can find have that bulky producer shape to them. Most likely from the years of being mixed with other breeds like the Plymouth Rock.

I've got a friend with a flock of Dalawares in Floyd. I just sold off my entire breeding flock a few weeks ago.
PM me for details and I can put you in touch with someone.

As for swaps...I live outside Blacksburg and have marans, bielefelders, legbars, isbars, and barnevelders. I might bring some chicks to a swap, but you can PM me for more info...I hatch weekly.

For SW VA vets who take care of chickens and other poultry, call Town and Country Vet clinic, Christiansburg. They work with chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom