Virginia

I actually in Tennessee, but vert close to the Virginia border. And I have 3 ducks that I need to re-home. 1 runner drake almost 2 years old and 2 call drakes about 7 months. I'm moving and can't bring them. :(
20190106_182831.jpg
20190106_182831.jpg

Hi everyone. I am about 30 miles north of Richmond, owner of 5 'girls' (Rhode Island Reds and 2 Black Jersey Giants).
Hi, nice to meet another Virginian. I spent a lot of yrs in Richmond a long time ago, but I now live in the Shenandoah Valley area. Of my 6 "girls", only one is a RIR. She's my "mean girl" :rant. She loves to torment my Lavender Orpington and her BFF (best feathered friend) a Golden Laced Wyandotte. So far she hasn't drawn blood or plucked any of their feathers, but she certainly gives them a hard time! How do your RIRs get along? And, how much larger are your Black Jersey Giants? Any pictures?

Welcome to the VA thread @roseytheriveter I’m up Near DC.
I have a RIR too. She is definitely at the top of the pecking order but she isn’t mean. I also have a lt Brahma and an Easter Egger.
I have some chicks coming next week to supplement my flock as I only gave 3 girls. Some unsexed Marans, a cream legbar and a Smaaland. Can’t wait!
@Susan Dye does your Orpington lay pink eggs? That’s a color I don’t have so am interested:)

Welcome to the VA thread @roseytheriveter I’m up Near DC.
I have a RIR too. She is definitely at the top of the pecking order but she isn’t mean. I also have a lt Brahma and an Easter Egger.
I have some chicks coming next week to supplement my flock as I only gave 3 girls. Some unsexed Marans, a cream legbar and a Smaaland. Can’t wait!
@Susan Dye does your Orpington lay pink eggs? That’s a color I don’t have so am interested:)
No pink eggs, that would be fun though:) Hers are a pale beige like color. My Buff Orpington lays an unusual almost rose tinted medium brown egg. My RIR isn't even the head hen, she just doesn't like the two she picks on. They were introduced into the flock almost a year ago and are very docile, which makes them the perfect targets. I had hoped she would leave them alone once they started laying, but no such luck. The other girls don't put up with her nonsense...they peck back!

That makes sense @Susan Dye. I noticed when I had chicks in the fall, my low in the pecking order Easter Egger was the meanest to the chicks. The top just ignored them. Funny how the bullied becomes the bully. I’ve heard you can isolate the bully for a few days to mess up the pecking order but I have never personally tried it... think it might be worth a try in your flock?

Hi, nice to meet another Virginian. I spent a lot of yrs in Richmond a long time ago, but I now live in the Shenandoah Valley area. Of my 6 "girls", only one is a RIR. She's my "mean girl" :rant. She loves to torment my Lavender Orpington and her BFF (best feathered friend) a Golden Laced Wyandotte. So far she hasn't drawn blood or plucked any of their feathers, but she certainly gives them a hard time! How do your RIRs get along? And, how much larger are your Black Jersey Giants? Any pictures?

All my girls get long pretty good now. One of my Rhodies is my "tiny dancer". She's much smaller than the rest of them so of course they run her off if there is something she has that they want, lol. Yes, my Jersey girls are much bigger than the Rhodies. I will see if I can dig up some pics. About 4 months ago, we went through a big change in the back yard (took out five trees) so they all stopped laying for several months. had to sweet talk and give them extra supplements to get their systems back in order. Chickens are so funny...just love them.

Back
Top Bottom