Virginia

Good info Susan! Right now it is hit and miss with eggs. I am trying not to worry though, cause its still very cold here most of the time, and the move and new surroundings stress on them was tough I'm sure. A couple of them are having diarrhea, one of our sex links had also endured some rooster damage in her old home, and is my rescue project. She has had some crazy eggs, soft shells that broke when laid, two with no shells at all, one with no shell or yolk, just a white. I don't know if this is stress, or just beginning layer issues, or a medical issue. I have them on oyster shell supplements and pro-biotics and trying to give them and the treatments time
We are having the hardest time taming them, the red links will eat out of our hands but that is the closest we can get. I had this image in my head of them running to greet me when I come out and petting them and all this, but maybe this isn't reality lol. I know it will also take time for them to settle in and calm down though.

Message_1550520429357.jpg
Oh my gosh, this is so fun!

Good info Susan! Right now it is hit and miss with eggs. I am trying not to worry though, cause its still very cold here most of the time, and the move and new surroundings stress on them was tough I'm sure. A couple of them are having diarrhea, one of our sex links had also endured some rooster damage in her old home, and is my rescue project. She has had some crazy eggs, soft shells that broke when laid, two with no shells at all, one with no shell or yolk, just a white. I don't know if this is stress, or just beginning layer issues, or a medical issue. I have them on oyster shell supplements and pro-biotics and trying to give them and the treatments time
We are having the hardest time taming them, the red links will eat out of our hands but that is the closest we can get. I had this image in my head of them running to greet me when I come out and petting them and all this, but maybe this isn't reality lol. I know it will also take time for them to settle in and calm down though.
Not sure the cold is a factor when it comes to sex links. Stress yes, age yes. Sex links generally have shorter life spans, and since she's a rescue, you only have the word of the former owner about her age. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who will "dump" older hens as their egg production slows. A thinning of their flocks so they can bring younger more productive hens. My sex link is friendly and will allow petting and even being picked up. But, I raised her from a week old chick. The fact that your girl is eating out of your hand is a good sign that she may eventually come around. Maybe once her egg laying issues get resolved, she'll be more receptive to petting. Personally I think developing patterns of behavior with them helps to gain their trust. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on how things are going.

Back
Top Bottom