Virginia

Thanks! So you think it will be ok to eat then ? The watermelon was great as was the applebutter. I sure would like to taste the apple peach one with out fear of getting sick .

Quote:
I used to live in the Churchland area of Portsmouth. I had chickens, so I have a couple of questions and suggestions for you...

Are you allow by city code to have chickens?
People at the zoning office should be able to tell you.

If you are allowed to have poultry where you live, obtain a copy of the city code. In fact, get a few copies. If anyone comes to the door to complain, show them the copy. I lived where the "truck farms" had been located. My property was allowed to have eleven chickens. When somebody turned me in, a zoning officer came out. She said all was fine and to enjoy my FIVE baby chicks. I guess my neighbors must have gotten tired of hearing me sing to and about my "lucky birds".

If the city code doesn't allow chickens, I don't know how to help you change the code. Chickens make less noise than dogs. When is the last time you saw a headline about a child being mauled by a bird? There are whole threads here on BYC about how to get codes changed. Neighbors are best bribed with fresh eggs.

If you are allowed chickens and someone is hassling you, get to know your animal control officers. Make sure they know you can have birds. Make sure you birds are well maintained. The better your birds are cared for, the more likely animal control is going to stand behind you.

Please let us know how things turn out. Best of luck!

riane'smimi :

Thanks! So you think it will be ok to eat then ? The watermelon was great as was the applebutter. I sure would like to taste the apple peach one with out fear of getting sick .

I also think th jelly is fine to eat.

I grew up listening to my relatives complaining about how hard jelly is to get "just right". Either there was too much fruit or too little jell (pectin?) or something was cooked too long or not long enough...

See where I'm going?

I would smell and taste it. If it passed those two tests, I'd have a small amount on toast and see how my stomach liked it. If my tricky gut was in approval, have at it. (I am the offical sniffer in my family. If it passes me, it's good to eat. My extra sensitive, tricky stomach is good for something!)

I was busy Saturday and couldn't sneak away to Gilmanor. I'll try harder on the sneak part next time!​

I would say if the jelly has a seal on it then it is fine. I have made a few batches of jelly all with the same ingredients and the exact same jarring system. Some were firmer then others. The firm ones I would leave on the counter while the "runnier" ones I would keep in the fridge!

I used to live in Norfolk and we had stray dogs running the neighborhood all the time. It amazes me they will not allow people to own chickens for any reason. It would be to everyone's advantage to own their own flock if they choose. I am in Zuni now where I can own as many as I want! Got to love the country!

I was at Gilmanor. I sold 13 hens and 2 roosters. I ended up bringing back home 11 roosters that I did not sell.
Only animals I bought were 2 blackshoulder peachicks.
big_smile.png

riane'smimi :

Quote:
I was there looking around.There was everything there .I bought feed
smile.png
Bay's best feeds sold there 24/7. You can go there anytime day or night and buy feed. You don't even have to pay tax .It's good clean feed and and cheaper than TSC and SS.my birds love it and I can go on Sunday and buy them good wholesome food.I am impressed
Glad I went and found out about it.Oh yea ,I sent hubby to buy some of the wine jelly,but the dummy came back with apple butter ,watermelon,and apple peach jelly.Maybe next year I will get some.Little afraid of the apple peach because it's runny.Never seen runny jelly before

what are the prices of the food?? since they are cheaper than s.s.​

I see that Pet Chickens of Virginia put an ad on Craigslist that there's a swap in Fredericksburg at Tractor Supply this Saturday 9/24 9-3pm. How does a chicken swap work? Is it like a big flea market of farm supplies and chickens? Do we just show up with cash to purchase chicks/chickens? What type of box/cage should we bring?

Chickens are so much fun. I started raising chickens this summer and have been building my backyard flock with hatching eggs and trying to get a mix of egg colors rather than one set breed. So far I have 8 chicks - 5 WLs and of those 4 are roos, 1 AC whose sex is undetermined but so far seems to be a pullet and 2 mutts which are possible olive eggers but breed is unknown on those two and with small combs seems like potentially pullets. I have the room for 12 to fit comfortably in my coop/run so once the roos are sorted out I'd like to get a few others - dark brown, blue and light brown egg layers added to the mix.

My 1st clutch I hatched 6 eggs out of 13 shipped, but one chick died on day 3 - probably pasty butt - but since I was new I didn't know about it till it was too late. My 2nd clutch was 14 eggs, only one hatched so I picked up 2 brooder mates from a woman who sells olive eggers and kept a better eye out for pasty butt. My 3rd attempt will be started this Friday - I have 10 Lavender Orpington and 24 Silkie eggs to place in the bator. Hoping to hatch half of each of those, keep one of each of the pullets and then sell the rest.

You just show up with your boxes or pet carrier and buy what you like
smile.png
. The swaps are alot of fun. You will like it.

The food prices were cheaper than SS .I bought 200 LBs of corn,wheat,,crimped oats,and milo and it cost me $45 all together for 200 lbs.I bought it to mix my own scratch. 100 lbs at SS would cost me $ 34 and would not be as good a quailty as I bought there.Now somebody told me they bought the layer and it was cheaper but it was like a powder. Bay's best is the name brand.I will be going back Sunday so I will write down prices . They have a duck feed that I want to try also.

i can get 100 lbs. of ss layer pellets for less than $25 dollars. been using it for 30 years. i am sure that whatever joel gilman is selling for feed is good but i wont be switching. there will be a chicken swap at the culpepper feed in caroline county on oct. 8th and another in madison heights at the tractor supply on oct. 15(east coast chickens). i will have some cubalaya chicks and beagle puppies for sale and maybe some shiitake mushrooms.

Back
Top Bottom