Virginia

Hi..I am new to this and am from Fincastle, Virginia (near Roanoke). No cickens yet, building a coop right now and trying to get more information on what kind of breeds to get.

welcome-byc.gif

Hello from Dinwiddie, VA.
You're going to get about 10,000 different opinions on what breeds are best.
big_smile.png

Have you tried the chicken breed selection tool?
When I first decided that I wanted chickens, I only knew the names of a couple of breeds (Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks). Then I found out that there were SOOO MANY different breeds - and SOOO MANY MORE interesting crosses.
I'm a list maker, so I've been working through a list of everything I wanted in my flock - what was 'must haves' and what was just 'would like to haves' - if I wanted to have them shipped or get them localy - what was within driving distance - etc.
Getting ready has been so much fun - I can't imagine how much fun I'm going to have when the birds are actually here!

Usually feed stores or places you buy your chicken supplies will have fliers or advertise chicken swaps. Most of the time some of us will announce local swaps here so keep checking this thread from time to time.

Hi..I am new to this and am from Fincastle, Virginia (near Roanoke). No cickens yet, building a coop right now and trying to get more information on what kind of breeds to get.

Yeah like canesisters said, if you ask you'll get information overload from everybody. It all depends on what you want. I like heritage breeds so I've got Delawares, New Hampshires and Rhode Island Reds and hopefully will start raising Barred Rocks again. I sell eggs but I'm also trying to breed for show worthy birds. There are so many choices. Good luck!

How do you find the local hatcheries? We're in King George County so going to southern MD is also an option.

Hello Neighbor,
I'm in King George too. Last year I ordered chicks by mail, but this year I am incubating my own, at least I hope so. Lol. My first eggs went into the incubator on Friday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
fl.gif

I am still having a hard time with this new site.I guess it's just going to take some time.Takes alot of the fun out of coming here
hit.gif
. The auctions are really messed up but then again I guess I have to get use to it :(

I am still having a hard time with this new site.I guess it's just going to take some time.Takes alot of the fun out of coming here :hit . The auctions are really messed up but then again I guess I have to get use to it :(

There is no "getting use" to the. new auction...it just flat out stinks

There is no "getting use" to the. new auction...it just flat out stinks

Yeah its not the best in the world now, hopefully before too long something will get worked out so we can have an auction system. The Old BYC didn't originally have the auction system it had, it was added just a lil over a year ago so maybe its something they'll eventually add once things get settle and hopefully everyone that bought and sold will still be here to use it..

Back
Top Bottom