Visitor

He's still sitting there.

IMG_3388-1.jpg

Getting dark. Tried to zoom, but it made it a tad grainy.

holly moly
i thought that owls only came out at night
that is a great pic though
but i would really be worried for my flock if they free range

Neat pic! Owls are great for mice and such- but definetly beware for your chickies! If they have a covered run and they're good size they should be ok. Owls are gorgeous and magnificent creatures, as long as they're not having chicken dinner!
wink.png

I have plenty of owls nearby. As yet I haven't let my 12 week olds free range. Their coop is in a field next to a woods with a fairly large, fully enclosed run. Am I facing certain casulaties if I let them free range? There also are hawks in the area. I'd love to let them free range a couple of hours in the evening while I'm home, but I'm afraid to.

What a beauty! Thank you for not shooting it. Although I love my chickens....I know some on this site will be scandalized to hear this...they are just chickens. I just think we need to do what we can to share the planet. I don't free range mine either ~ partially because I lose a songbird to a hawk now and then, my neighbor lost both cats to coyotes and we've seen bear droppings at the edge of the woods ~ I don't want to risk free ranging, but I wonder if you were out when they were out, if that might make it a little safer.

Now a racoon or possum I might feel differently about:(

Quote:
I still free range my roo- but after a close call with a stray dog- ONLY while I'm outside with him. He doesn't know he is a chicken, however, and normally stays within a stone's throw of the house, mostly right on the porch or in the garage with the dog. We have lots of owls, as well as hawks, coyotes, coons, oppossums, and the occasional mink. If you're considering free ranging, be sure to be very close at hand, and pay attention to the surroundings- songbirds will sound the alarm, as will squirrels and other "natural prey animals" Just remember- you're always taking a chance if you free range, but there are ways to eliminate some of the risks. Best of luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
I have read multiple posts on here expressing situations like what I experienced- being buzzed by a hawk while in the yard with my birds.

And I live in the middle of a 100K town!

I have seen posts in which a bird is taken (or nearly so) from right in front of the person, a stone's throw away.

A covered run is a much safer bet than anything, and be aware that plastic netting isn't good enough for a cover- they learn to zip right through it.

Gorgeous owl. Sinister, but gorgeous.

Last edited:
Beautiful bird. I got unnerved one night because I saw one fly up and perch just as the sun was going down. Of course the chooks were already in bed, but still it's quite a wake up call to watch a predator know just where to find his food.

I thought it was funny because, especially in the first picture, he looked exactly like those fake plastic owls people display to keep hawks and pigeons away.
smile.png

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom