Vitamin B deficiency hopefully not mareks... help

Fisherlmiranda

Songster
Feb 25, 2018
Morrow, Ohio
I'm hoping this is vitamin B deficiency and not mareks! This rooster and a hen was laying around, and then stumbling around. I isolated them, The hen died but the rooster is staying the same. Hatched May 18th they are coming up on 12 weeks old. I'm giving them probiotics on their food, which is fermented scratch grains and layer pellets. And vitamins in their water ( crushed 5 B complex tabs and put them in my 5 gal waterer) and nuti drench. Started giving the rest of the flock the same. Before it was just the food and the water. I was gonna upload a video but cant figure it out. My birds are rotational grazed, we use a premier one poly fence and move them to new grass every third day. Fresh water and fed daily. The bird in question is the biggest bird in the flock, hes really tall. And wont come up off his knees, is having a hard time with balance, and toes are curled up. He seems to be making it to the feed and water. Heres some screen shots of him trying to walk. Hes trying to stay up right by putting out his wings.
Screenshot_20200808-140450_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200808-140504_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200808-140521_Video Player.jpg

This rooster and a hen was laying around, and then stumbling around. I isolated them, The hen died but the rooster is staying the same. Hatched May 18th they are coming up on 12 weeks old. I'm giving them probiotics on their food, which is fermented scratch grains and layer pellets.
Sounds like a very nutritionally deficient diet for any juvenile chicken, and possibly Marek's also.. They need more protein and amino acids than what's being provided which is not even sufficient for an already grown bird, really. Sorry for your loss! :(

Get a chick starter feed, a grower, or a flock raiser.. and cut the layer and scratch grains out completely...

Is he still eating and drinking?

If this bird passes refrigerate (don't freeze) the body in plastic until you can send it out on Monday. Contact the lab see about using their shipping account and find out how much the cost it to you, etc. Some states it's free. It cost me $25 for 2 bird in California. I'm not happy about the answer I got, but better to know the truth! A link to read about the general process since contact information to your state poultry lab was already provided by another poster..
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

Please know Marek's is not a death sentence for your whole flock. While vaccinated birds are not welcome here to hide the disease.. it may be a good choice for some if they have a very virulent strain or cannot accept the occasional loss.

Hope the rest thrive! :fl

Sounds like a very nutritionally deficient diet for any juvenile chicken, and possibly Marek's also.. They need more protein and amino acids than what's being provided which is not even sufficient for an already grown bird, really. Sorry for your loss! :(

Get a chick starter feed, a grower, or a flock raiser.. and cut the layer and scratch grains out completely...

Is he still eating and drinking?

If this bird passes refrigerate (don't freeze) the body in plastic until you can send it out on Monday. Contact the lab see about using their shipping account and find out how much the cost it to you, etc. Some states it's free. It cost me $25 for 2 bird in California. I'm not happy about the answer I got, but better to know the truth! A link to read about the general process since contact information to your state poultry lab was already provided by another poster..
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

Please know Marek's is not a death sentence for your whole flock. While vaccinated birds are not welcome here to hide the disease.. it may be a good choice for some if they have a very virulent strain or cannot accept the occasional loss.

Hope the rest thrive! :fl
X2
Layer feed is for layers. Just because they are layer type and female doesn't make them layers. Only birds actively laying should eat layer feed. That excludes cockerels and 12 week old birds. You likely already have some urolithiasis in your flock.
Birds not laying eggs are not layers.
There would be no chance of a vitamin deficiency if you fed only a complete feed suitable for your age of birds.
Scratch grains, fermented or not isn't chicken feed, it is an occasional treat.
How long have they been on layer feed?

X2
Layer feed is for layers. Just because they are layer type and female doesn't make them layers. Only birds actively laying should eat layer feed. That excludes cockerels and 12 week old birds. You likely already have some urolithiasis in your flock.
Birds not laying eggs are not layers.
There would be no chance of a vitamin deficiency if you fed only a complete feed suitable for your age of birds.
Scratch grains, fermented or not isn't chicken feed, it is an occasional treat.
How long have they been on layer feed?
Just switched, not even half way through the 40 lb bag. I was told starter was 6 weeks and younger. The fermented scratch is a treat

Back
Top Bottom