Vitamin C for chicken - i found this article, would like to share with you guys and listen to opinion.

If someone ferments the feed, there is surely very abundant vitamin C even if none was present initially. Sauerkrauts have some ten times the vit.c of oranges.

I used to use Em in chicken feed mix as well back at paso.. but i found out as layers that not used to EM, using em a bit too much will causing the egg layers to reduce egg production..

chickens don't require any vitamin c in their diet, as they produce it internally (like almost all animals - except primates, guinea pigs, some bats, and of course humans :) )

i don't see any sources linked for the claims in that article. it is so poorly written that it looks like content mill or even bot-written stuff. remember anyone can write any old crap on the internet.
I don't know about that.. as i just bought a bottle of poultry vitamin supplement for feed.. there is vitamin C listed in it.. I mean if chicken produce vit c internally, why should the complete supplement for poultry include vitamin c ?

Speaking of fermented feed. I saw quite a lot of people doing fermented feed, said it will increase absorption of 18%..
However, i am considering, if just soak the whatever feed mix for 3 days.. isn't mold and bad bacterial also thrive ? and hence, isn't that bad for chicken as well ? i mean, feed got fermented (good for absorption) but bad bacterial and mold also proliferate , so how can that be good ? unless one pour in EM so that good bacterial take over the whole thing..
You have to inoculate the ferment properly, initially, then always inoculate with 10% of the previous batch. For a good lactic fermentation, start with sauerkraut juice as your inoculator. fermenting in the 60-70F range will do a lot to keep your ferment healthy (lower temps are fine, but too high and it will start to stink).

You have to inoculate the ferment properly, initially, then always inoculate with 10% of the previous batch. For a good lactic fermentation, start with sauerkraut juice as your inoculator. fermenting in the 60-70F range will do a lot to keep your ferment healthy (lower temps are fine, but too high and it will start to sti
Yes, it is a lot more work, furthermore have to make sure they finish up the fermented feed daily.. and makesure the feeder won't get mold on prolonged wet feed.
However i would like to try it out.

What starter should i use ? sauerkraut ? can i use apple cider vinegar ? can i use yogourt ?
I have crashed the grain mix (from feed store, they included dry shrink in the feed mix) for the chick.. a crashed grain still ok to ferment ? some of them already become powdery..

Thx

Yes, it is a lot more work, furthermore have to make sure they finish up the fermented feed daily.. and makesure the feeder won't get mold on prolonged wet feed.
However i would like to try it out.

What starter should i use ? sauerkraut ? can i use apple cider vinegar ? can i use yogourt ?
I have crashed the grain mix (from feed store, they included dry shrink in the feed mix) for the chick.. a crashed grain still ok to ferment ? some of them already become powdery..

Thx
No, you can not use ACV. It has to be a lactic ferment. Yogurt, whey, or sauerkraut juice.

Back
Top Bottom