Vitamin C for chicken - i found this article, would like to share with you guys and listen to opinion.

If you buy a good formulated ration for your birds all the vitamins should be in it at the quantities needed. It isn't practical for most poultry keepers to add daily vitamins beyond feeding a correct ration. Keeping extra treats to a minimum will help, as well as allowing birds access to range so they can forage for vitamin rich bugs, and greens.

That's kind of a sketchy website... Which doesn't mean that their information is incorrect, but I wouldn't trust it if I couldn't verify it elsewhere - lots of elsewheres. It did pique my curiosity; I don't care about increased egg production, but I am in Texas, so I'm always open to things that will help my flock deal with the heat!

If someone ferments the feed, there is surely very abundant vitamin C even if none was present initially. Sauerkrauts have some ten times the vit.c of oranges.

chickens don't require any vitamin c in their diet, as they produce it internally (like almost all animals - except primates, guinea pigs, some bats, and of course humans :) )

i don't see any sources linked for the claims in that article. it is so poorly written that it looks like content mill or even bot-written stuff. remember anyone can write any old crap on the internet.

That's kind of a sketchy website... Which doesn't mean that their information is incorrect, but I wouldn't trust it if I couldn't verify it elsewhere - lots of elsewheres. It did pique my curiosity; I don't care about increased egg production, but I am in Texas, so I'm always open to things that will help my flock deal with the heat!
Heat! ah, that's one thing i want to have it here (in Germany). I used to raise chicken , 200 over layers at Paso Robles.. Every summer, i have to change the water 3 times, as water warms up..

feed, there is surely very abundant vitamin C even if none was present initially. Sauerkrauts have some ten times the vit.c of or
Speaking of fermented feed. I saw quite a lot of people doing fermented feed, said it will increase absorption of 18%..
However, i am considering, if just soak the whatever feed mix for 3 days.. isn't mold and bad bacterial also thrive ? and hence, isn't that bad for chicken as well ? i mean, feed got fermented (good for absorption) but bad bacterial and mold also proliferate , so how can that be good ? unless one pour in EM so that good bacterial take over the whole thing..

I used to use Em in chicken feed mix as well back at paso.. but i found out as layers that not used to EM, using em a bit too much will causing the egg layers to reduce egg production..

chickens don't require any vitamin c in their diet, as they produce it internally (like almost all animals - except primates, guinea pigs, some bats, and of course humans :) )

i don't see any sources linked for the claims in that article. it is so poorly written that it looks like content mill or even bot-written stuff. remember anyone can write any old crap on the internet.
I don't know about that.. as i just bought a bottle of poultry vitamin supplement for feed.. there is vitamin C listed in it.. I mean if chicken produce vit c internally, why should the complete supplement for poultry include vitamin c ?

I don't know about that.. as i just bought a bottle of poultry vitamin supplement for feed.. there is vitamin C listed in it.. I mean if chicken produce vit c internally, why should the complete supplement for poultry include vitamin c ?

probably cause it's an antioxidant? good for sick chickens. but healthy ones don't need it.

kinda like the difference between deciding you need x and x supplement that might have studies showing it improves your health, but you'd do fine on normal human food. as in... chickens can't get a vitamin c deficiency. it's not an essential vitamin to them. they don't have scurvy, and they won't get bleeding gums even if they never touched an orange in their days. :p

Back
Top Bottom