Vitamin deficiency or something more serious? Pullet can’t stand up!

ev-chicka

Chirping
May 21, 2019
I have a 21 week opal Legbar that I’ve noticed over the past several days was not moving around like usual, more lethargic. I noticed yesterday that she was unbalanced and not standing/walking normally so I separated her and started giving vitamins. This morning she’s even worse and can’t stand or move at all, just leans on haunches and lays down.

Is there a chance this is just a vitamin deficiency and not more serious like Mereks? I'm giving her poly v Sol on the tip of her beak since she’s also not actively eating or drinking. Have you had pullets/hens recover from this? If so how long does it take? I need to wrap my head around how long she needs to be quarantined for as it’s a lot of work! Thank you!

Attachments

• 4D7A0CFB-785D-43CE-8095-95718A027A6B.jpeg
    4D7A0CFB-785D-43CE-8095-95718A027A6B.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 24
Hello, I am so sorry your pullet isn't feeling well. :hugs Given the look of her eye and the way she is sitting, my best guess is Marek's. You could try treating her for vitamin deficiencies with something like Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, and if she's started laying, some calcium too.

Possible ocular Marek's
Screenshot_2019-10-23-07-03-53.png

Possible neurological Marek's
Screenshot_2019-10-23-07-04-06.png

Hello, I am so sorry your pullet isn't feeling well. :hugs Given the look of her eye and the way she is sitting, my best guess is Marek's. You could try treating her for vitamin deficiencies with something like Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, and if she's started laying, some calcium too.

Possible ocular Marek's
View attachment 1941811

Possible neurological Marek's
View attachment 1941812

I think you’re right:(

So now what? I don’t think I can afford a necropsy once she passes. Do I just have to assume I have Mereks in my flock forever and walk on eggshells til another one dies? Have you had it? Have you done your own necropsy? Thanks so much!

I am so sorry.

Do you live in the US?
Some state lab's offer cheap necropsies...some are not cheap.

What part or province? You might check because someone just last week got a necropsy for under $20. The Mareks testing is a bit more in addition to a necropsy. Sometimes, I think they can pretty much tell that it is probably Mareks just from findings, but they will ask you if you want the testing to confirm. So sorry about your pullet, but I would agree that it looks to be symptoms of Mareks. Here is a good article about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom