1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

vitamins for hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jrabbit, Jan 3, 2011.

1. jrabbit

jrabbit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Is there anything we could find at grocery store for an undiagnosed but generally-something-is-wrong-with-her hen? We can not figure out what's wrong, but she seems lame but has an appetite. She is 2.5 years old.

See post below "2 year old barred rock limping" - for more details.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can give her infant vitamin drops, I don't know about a grocery store, but drug stores and Wal Mart carry them. A few drops a day, on a treat or on the side of her bill. Everyone here says to get the kind without iron.

3. jrabbit

jrabbit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    well, he ended up getting a children's vitamin that has some iron in it ... anyone know if that's an issue? I don't intend to go out again tonight, and I won't give anything to her til tomorrow, since she's in her coop already for the night. She is just in the hay, not on the perch.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I have read not to give them the vitamins with iron. I have had luck treating a lame hen with vitamin B12 and vit. E in her food for two weeks. I got powdered Vit. B12/B complex pills that can be pulled apart and sprinkle the vit. powder on her favorite treat. I got liquid vit. E caps, cut tip off and dripped liquid onto the food. Don't give the vit. E everyday since it is fat soluable and stays in the body longer than the vit. B which is water soluable and the extra can leave the body. Keep her separtaed from the others until she can walk, keep her warm so she can use her energy for healing, I also gave mine a warm bath everynight, she liked it. Good luck with her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by