Viva Las Vegas!

I feel like I am obsessing. My husband is definitely tired of hearing about chickens.
big_smile.png
Tell him to get on board.

my fear of ordering chicks right now living in vegas is the heat inside the mail truck and there whole ride here the heat. I know there is a place on rancho they advertise on craigs list a lot http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/grd/3843458158.html you can call them to see if they have the breed you want I know they have a lot of different breeds
The heat is part of the reason that I am waiting too. I saw that add too, but I'm not ready yet either. I am getting antsy.
That place on Rancho is where we got our 9 chicks :) They are all healthy and growing well.

Tell him to get on board.
I'll be sure to pass that along.
jumpy.gif

Yes Jones Feed has them also, we went in there and I looked, at the time they didn't have the breeds we wanted so we went to V&V. Do you plan to keep the chicks outside or inside while they're little? We kept ours in the house for the first 5 or 6 weeks (until it was warm enough through the night for them to be outside), so that's something to consider when timing your purchase.

Hey everyone!

I'm new to BYC, this is officially my first post. I have been a Las Vegas resident my whole life, and recently, due to the opening of a Utah based ranch and feed store, my family and I have taken a serious interest in raising chickens. I have spent all my free time researching and talking to employees at the feed store and chatting with chicken farmers online, just soaking up all the information I can get. And 8 out of 10 times, when I google something chicken related, the best info I find is on BYC. So I joined! Yay!

We have had our 3 pullets for about 4 weeks, and we are well on our way to completing the coop. We have a Rhode Island Red, Wyoma, a Buff Orpington, Sassy, and an Australorp, June Bug. They are almost completely feathered out, and we can't wait to move them into their new home. I take them outside every day in the evenings when it's cooler and we have the afternoon breeze, and they really enjoy pecking around and chasing bugs and each other. Today, I was surprised when, as the sunlight was dimming, they all instinctively went to sit in what we have of the coop and started trilling! What a neat thing to witness for the first time! So I brought them back to their brooder and after a few minutes of peeping, they fell asleep :) They make me so happy. I love my girls so much...

I like to think I am well informed when it comes to raising them, but every day is a learning experience and I feel I can never get enough information from experienced BYCers. I know there is probably a post or 10 somewhere in here pertaining to desert weather, but since I don't really have the time to scroll through and find them, I'll just ask my questions here...

What does everyone do to help keep their ladies cool in the summer? And what can I do to protect them from the rain?

Thanks in advance for your help!

~Sin City Chicks~

I recently started moving my girls into the garage every afternoon until evening. Then they go back out to the coop to sleep. I have three or four fans blowing on them in there.

I need some advise... I have a beautiful bantam Cochin frizzle roo that is in the same pen as my black silkie am chick. Im not sure if its a he or she yet. I noticed today that my frizzle has been stripped of some of his feathers! The quill is there but it's bare! The black chick has been stripping the feathers off of them. What can I do??

I need to find a home for both of them soon, before they start to crow. I also have a Japanese bantam roo that needs a new home. Anyone interested??

I will be selling eggs when my girls start laying. Prob around the end of summer. August.

Yes Jones Feed has them also, we went in there and I looked, at the time they didn't have the breeds we wanted so we went to V&V. Do you plan to keep the chicks outside or inside while they're little? We kept ours in the house for the first 5 or 6 weeks (until it was warm enough through the night for them to be outside), so that's something to consider when timing your purchase.

I am going to keep them inside at first. I figure if I get them in Aug/Sept. it will be plenty warm at night still until mid October. Our first freeze, I think, is around mid November. Do you do anything for them when it gets cold?

It looks like Belt (Fresno) and Cackle are a little closer. Belt is a wholesale hatchery, but will sell retail online. I will probably go with one of them. I called Meyer today and they said the people who sex their chicks have a 90% accuracy rate. So on an order of 25, there would be 2-3 males. Could take up to 3 days to get them.

I feel like I am obsessing. My husband is definitely tired of hearing about chickens.
big_smile.png
Ahhh, yes, but if you get sex-links there should be no question of getting boys.
big_smile.png
But, like most of us, you will probably get a few different breeds. If you can't sell the excess online, you can always try selling them at Nellis Feed on Nellis.

If your husband is tired NOW, just wait til you have him building the coop, the run, the roosts, the feeders, and the waterers and by then you'll probably need an extension to your coop (have you heard about chicken math...?) and maybe even a different feeder or waterer. I'm telling you, this is just the beginning of the madness that is chicken keeping. It's truly addicting.

my fear of ordering chicks right now living in vegas is the heat inside the mail truck and there whole ride here the heat.
Agreed. I think you can have them held for you at the post office for pick up, but I'm not sure about that. Or how to go about that.

I recently started moving my girls into the garage every afternoon until evening. Then they go back out to the coop to sleep. I have three or four fans blowing on them in there.

I need some advise... I have a beautiful bantam Cochin frizzle roo that is in the same pen as my black silkie am chick. Im not sure if its a he or she yet. I noticed today that my frizzle has been stripped of some of his feathers! The quill is there but it's bare! The black chick has been stripping the feathers off of them. What can I do??

I need to find a home for both of them soon, before they start to crow. I also have a Japanese bantam roo that needs a new home. Anyone interested??

I will be selling eggs when my girls start laying. Prob around the end of summer. August.
Nellis Feedstore on Nellis. They pay you like $5 a chicken, I think. Have you tried posting pics of them on craigslist?

I am going to keep them inside at first. I figure if I get them in Aug/Sept. it will be plenty warm at night still until mid October. Our first freeze, I think, is around mid November. Do you do anything for them when it gets cold?
It's best to make sure that they have a light in a section of their space in case they do get cold until they feather out. That way they have a choice of the heat or not. That fuzz is not warm at all and they can get cold with the slightest breeze.

Once they feather out completely, they should be fine in a coop at night in our coldest winter weather.

Hey everyone!

I'm new to BYC, this is officially my first post. I have been a Las Vegas resident my whole life, and recently, due to the opening of a Utah based ranch and feed store, my family and I have taken a serious interest in raising chickens. I have spent all my free time researching and talking to employees at the feed store and chatting with chicken farmers online, just soaking up all the information I can get. And 8 out of 10 times, when I google something chicken related, the best info I find is on BYC. So I joined! Yay!

We have had our 3 pullets for about 4 weeks, and we are well on our way to completing the coop. We have a Rhode Island Red, Wyoma, a Buff Orpington, Sassy, and an Australorp, June Bug. They are almost completely feathered out, and we can't wait to move them into their new home. I take them outside every day in the evenings when it's cooler and we have the afternoon breeze, and they really enjoy pecking around and chasing bugs and each other. Today, I was surprised when, as the sunlight was dimming, they all instinctively went to sit in what we have of the coop and started trilling! What a neat thing to witness for the first time! So I brought them back to their brooder and after a few minutes of peeping, they fell asleep :) They make me so happy. I love my girls so much...

I like to think I am well informed when it comes to raising them, but every day is a learning experience and I feel I can never get enough information from experienced BYCers. I know there is probably a post or 10 somewhere in here pertaining to desert weather, but since I don't really have the time to scroll through and find them, I'll just ask my questions here...

What does everyone do to help keep their ladies cool in the summer? And what can I do to protect them from the rain?

Thanks in advance for your help!

~Sin City Chicks~
welcome-byc.gif
's Las Vegas Thread!!! It sounds as if you're off to a great start. I love the trilling!!! It makes me so happy to hear. It is so amazing how much of their behavior is instinctual. I also think that taking them outside daily is so good for them. It really makes them more hardy and brave.

Regarding what to do in the heat: see page 40 on this thread. Rain? Sometimes it feels like we never get this, but this is a good question. My girls don't mind being out in the rain at all, but if I spray a hose in the run they scatter like mad. Crazy chickens! Just make sure the coop is water tight and dry. They'll need a space available, if they choose, to get out of the rain. Also, if you're in a flood prone area, please be careful and plan accordingly. We had a member that was flooded out last year and lost some precious birds in the deluge. So sad. Unfortunately, because our area has grown so quickly, and we get so little precipitation, most of us don't even know we could be in a flood area until it's too late.

Good luck with your girls! Glad you're here with us!

Back
Top Bottom