Viva Las Vegas!

Welcome! Chickens are so much fun, you're going to love it. Mine are just 5 weeks old now, and it's my first time. I watch much less TV now, watching the chickens is more fun! There are gorgeous coops on this site, but lots of ventilation and protection is better than looking good (of course looking good would be a bonus). Keep looking around this site and you'll learn everything you need to know, or you can ask us.

welcome-byc.gif
's Las Vegas thread: deserthomestead, coupedup, juneytunes and hot-hen! So glad you could join us. Often it's the new members that keep this thread going. It sounds like you're doing good things to keep your chickens as cool as possible. Panting chickens are to be expected in the summer. They also tend to hold their wings out away from their bodies.

My three main tips for keeping chickens cool are
#1 cold water/ice and frozen fruit/veggies
#2 shade, shade and more shade
#3 eliminate scratch (corn) during summer as it elevates their body temperature

I like to really soak down an area where they can dust bathe in the evening/night time. In the morning they will move away the (then) dry dirt from the top and enjoy sitting in the cooler earth below. Misters can be a mixed blessing. This is mainly because poo+water=stink & flies. I found it worked better for me to spray down the walls and shade structures in the afternoon/evening. It evaporates quickly yet provides relief from the heat. Also, less poo is located near the walls so less chance of stinkiness. They really like an area where they can walk through water. While I'd like to provide that for my girls, I'm not willing to dump/refresh the water every couple of hours to keep it cool and clean (smelling and drinkable). I have toyed with the idea of making a fountain/waterfall type feature with river rocks at the base to give them a cooler place to stand that wouldn't get quite so stinky. If you try this, let me know how it works.

To be honest, I cheat. As I live with my 70 yo parents and a handicapped sister, and am a substitute teacher, we take the summer off. We take the birds to Utah. While we are all able to enjoy the higher elevation and cooler climates, this process is quite stressful for everyone. This is the 3rd year our snowbirds have gone North. Each year we lost some birds in the transfer (exactly what we were trying to avoid). Last year I learned an important fact. Cardboard is an insulator, it holds heat. No wonder we lost birds coming from Vegas but not to Vegas, regardless of how many holes I had in the boxes. So, last summer I purchased a whole bunch of stackable file crates. We fitted the tops with boards or bird netting to keep the girls in. It worked like a charm returning to Vegas but I still didn't know if they'd make the initial (hotter) trip. Last week was the test. At about 10pm we started loading the girls in the crates. It takes about an hour or so. We had to chase a couple. My poor dad was exhausted so we decided to sleep until 3am and then load them into our Jimmy and head out. It ended up being about 5(ish)am before we left Vegas. Outside of Cedar City our Jimmy overheated. We had a cousin come and tow it into town. The chickens were moved out into the shade but not before we had an escape attempt.

Yeah. That wasn't fun to clean up. I won't even show you the other picture of them in the front of the Jimmy. This photo does show one of the file crates, though. Apparently we need to come up with a way of securing the board on top. Each crate holds 2 hens very comfortably. The carriers pictured are holding 2 broodies each and one has a broody mama and her 3 wko babies. The broodies are determinedly sitting on wooden eggs. More about that later.

We had a friend offer his old truck w/a camper so we could get the girls to their summer home. Once there, I was prepared for the worst. The chickens had been in the crates for almost 12 hours. We unloaded them quick as possible and began taking the tops off. Surprise!!! NO DEAD BIRDS!!! Yahoo!! I was amazed and elated. We even had about 5 eggs in the crates. With a little modification, this is the way to go! With fresh, cool water and lots of grass available, the hens were happy as clams. Many jumped right up into the nests and got to work while others explored the overgrown run.

So, take my advice, or don't, just know that I speak from my own experience. Hope you will share yours with us.

Last edited:
I was really worried about the heat too, which is one of the reasons I thought it would be best to wait to get some chicks/pullets until September, although, I would like them now. We have an huge (built for two very large dogs), old handmade doghouse that I think we are going to modify it to get started. I am going to look for a heat tolerant breed, but even in the heat we had this weekend, I don't think any animal would be comfortable in that. I think I will hook up some sort of small swamp cooler by next summer.

I found a hatchery in southern California east of Riverside:

http://www.californiahatchery.com/Chickens-_c_11.html

It is close enough to drive to and I would feel much better if I acquired chicks that were not shipped. They have Black Sex-Linked Hybrids which is one of the breeds I was considering. Either that or White Star Hybrids (I don't know if they have these). Being white they might be better suited for our environment. I sent them an emails asking what they do with their males. I am very concerned as to how males are disposed of in some hatcheries and really don't want to participate in inhumane practices. We'll see, I guess.

I would love to see everyone else's setup, if anyone feels like having company.

One other thing; what types of predators do we have to worry about here in southern Nevada? I have two dogs who regularly chase squirrels, birds and such out of the yard. I expect, like many people on this site have done, to acclimate my dogs to the chickens as their protectors. I will have an enclosed run, but I want to let them free range in the yard every day too. I don't think much of any animal would dare come in our yard with the rottie, but are there birds of prey that might take chickens?

I hope the dog doesn't get too curious about the chickens! I have been told to watch out for birds of prey. Hawks can be a danger if the chickens are roaming the yard. Our run is enclosed and they are never left out without supervision.

I hope the dog doesn't get too curious about the chickens! I have been told to watch out for birds of prey. Hawks can be a danger if the chickens are roaming the yard. Our run is enclosed and they are never left out without supervision.

I figured that there would be an adjustment period. I think both dogs are chasers, not killers, but they are dogs and dogs will do what dogs will do. I think I can train the rottie, the other mutt - who knows. He's a stinker. He's only 20 pounds and the first time a hen pecks at him will probably be the last time he chases a chicken.

Welcome, I'm very new myself, we're in NW LV We got our first baby chicks in April and they sure do grow fast! If you scan back several pages my husband (coupedup) posted some pics of the coop we built :)

hot-hen, depending on where you are you may have coyotes. I'm well out of Vegas and we have TONS of coyotes. We also have enormous ravens, hawks, and stray dogs.
My chicks are 5 weeks old now and they're in an outdoor brooder against the house. They're big enough to go out to their coop across the yard, but I'm so afraid of predators..

One other thing; what types of predators do we have to worry about here in southern Nevada? I have two dogs who regularly chase squirrels, birds and such out of the yard. I expect, like many people on this site have done, to acclimate my dogs to the chickens as their protectors. I will have an enclosed run, but I want to let them free range in the yard every day too. I don't think much of any animal would dare come in our yard with the rottie, but are there birds of prey that might take chickens?

Hawks for sure. I have also heard of pigeons and cats killing chicks. Mostly, in town, there is not much to worry about if you enclose your area and supervise free range time.

welcome-byc.gif
's Las Vegas thread, MLPChick! I love your setup. It's so cute!

Coyotes have been spotted in town from time to time, but I cannot imagine my rottie allowing them in my yard.

I would really like to make a purchase Septemberish. Will anyone have pullets around that time? I cannot take males per city ordinance and I would grow too attached if I accidentally ended up with a rooster. I could not bare letting it go to possibly be used as meat or some other unknown use. I am not really sure what my options are? I am willing to drive up to 5 hours or so to pick them up - I hate the idea of shipping.

And...does anyone sell eggs?

Back
Top Bottom