Viva Las Vegas!

I hadn't checked for eggs in a couple days, but thought, what the heck... and I checked today. I was very excited to see I didn't have to wait any longer for eggs! I think, based on the sizes, that they are both laying.

It's been a while since my last post. The girls are getting along fabulously and there is no more pecking or bullying to be worried about. I can also have the dogs and the girls out in the yard (supervised, of course) at the same time without having to constantly watch or yell at the dogs. Finding what they like as treats has been chsllenging, but we're making progress.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

For anyone looking for Australorps, there is a breeder in Moapa that I was going to buy fertile eggs from. I drove out there, waited for 45 minutes and the guy never showed up. I'm a bit ****** because I wasted 1/2 tank of gas, even though the drive was nice and it got me out of Vegas for the afternoon. I was really looking forward to having some eggs to hatch over my disaster eggs that were sent to me, broken and only two of the eggs were viable but they didnt hatch. Oh well, will put hatching on hold for now and look for a rhode island red. If anyone has one for sale (young hen under a year) let me know.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Barb

Hope everyone is having a great holiday! I met a lady at CAL Ranch the other day that breeds a bunch of different types of breeds. Currently she has a frizzled polish rooster and 2 polish hens for sale. She will not split them up and they are going on 2 yrs old. She has lists for show quality silkies, frizzles, showgirls, polish, d'uccles and more. PM me if interested and I will give you her number.

Last edited:
I hadn't checked for eggs in a couple days, but thought, what the heck... and I checked today. I was very excited to see I didn't have to wait any longer for eggs! I think, based on the sizes, that they are both laying.

It's been a while since my last post. The girls are getting along fabulously and there is no more pecking or bullying to be worried about. I can also have the dogs and the girls out in the yard (supervised, of course) at the same time without having to constantly watch or yell at the dogs. Finding what they like as treats has been chsllenging, but we're making progress.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Congratulations! That is the best gift ever! It always seems to take soooooooooooooo long for them to begin laying.

Thanks, Vegaschick! I was so excited. It looks like almost one a day at this point. I would have loved just having chickens, but this is icing on the cake!

First of all I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

Vegaschick - Thank you for the information. I will buy some Valbazen and keep it on hand in case I need it and I will look into the All Flock feed at CalRanch.

Tumbleweed33 - Thank you as well for the information. I have never seen worms in the feces of my dogs and cats, and will pay close (not too close,chicken poop is scary) attention to the chickens. I use a little Diatomaceous Earth in the run and coop as well. The less medication I need to use on the chickens the better, but I like to be prepared. I will get some of the silver lining herbs and dust a little with the food grade Diatomaceous Earth on their feed every so often and use the Valbazen if I ever see worms in their poop after that.

JetR - Very cool you are getting eggs now! Still patiently waiting here...ok, not patiently, but waiting nonetheless!

I bought these chickens for my wife and kids (I was pretty dead set against it), and I'm the one that turned into a freak! Anyone else put a wireless ptz camera in the chicken run so they can keep an eye on things from work? Please say yes...please...

I'm going to most likely be placing my australorps within the next month if anyone is interested. Both are 7 mo old. One has been laying for about 2 weeks. The other one has yet to start laying. I am asking $20 for each. Both are sweet but aloof. They are fine confined and they also free range during the day in an enclosed yard. Happily the one who is laying will go back to the nest to lay her eggs. They have been raised on a home feed, soy free and most of the grains organic. They are in good condition. Both are hatchery birds.

Barb

Quick question for anyone. I am going to be purchasing 2 more pullets. I will buy them from the same person i bought the rest of my pullets from in November. If im buying them from the same person do i really need to quarantine them from the others for a month? The place is clean, reputable, and they do vaccinate. Im thinking i can keep them in the same run as the established ones and let them get acquainted for a week or so before putting them all together on the roost one evening. What do you all think? I just dont want to make the others sick.
Thank you for any opinions

I am placing my two pullet Australorps. Both are 7 mo old. One is laying the other hasnt started yet. Both in excellent condition. Placed together. $25.00 each. On homemade organic feed.

Back
Top Bottom