Viva Las Vegas!

The chicks are doing great, feathering out nicely now. I have them split into two groups of 13, one group I am keeping, the other is being split by 4mybcs and another friend. Each group is in a 3 by 5 brooder pen and while they have plenty of room still, I am planning on moving my group to another pen, and splitting my friends groups up tomorrow (maybe, I have a lot to do tomorrow!). Anyway the chicks are doing great, thanks for asking!

I saw that ad, $30 per hen is way more than I would spend, but if you are looking for something specific then I guess its worth it! Now I would spend more than that on an ornamental pheasant, but I can't seem to find any around us! I found some on CL near Phoenix, but I am not driving 12 hours for them!

Speaking of crickets, my next project (I have a list a mile long so it may not be "next") is trying my hand at breeding mealworms and crickets. It looks super easy to do mealworms, I need to watch more cricket breeding on YouTube before I move forward with them. has anyone on here ever tried either?

I talked to a cricket breeder as I was going to buy from him but somehow he just disappeared so it didnt work out. He told me that crickets can absolutely not live in any moisture or it will kill them. I also read that they are rather stinky when you breed and raise them. Not for me I think since I'm pretty picky on smell. So I buy mine. The hens LOVE them. Too bad they are so expensive. I'm not sure I could deal with all the racket from the males.

Ive also heard that mealworms are easy but my hens are not too crazy for the live ones. They love the freeze dried ones. And I was giving them treats of worms but I worry about gape worms. Anyone have problems with gape worms?

Tiff are you saying you have a chicken coop and dog kennel all in one? Do they cohabitate?

I finally got an egg! I think it came from one of the 25-week olds.

celebrate.gif
wee.gif
D.gif
woot.gif

I'm so happy! Now I'm just waiting for the other 17 to start laying...

x-posted from the "Nevadans?" thread. Thanks again to Tiff for providing me with an assortment of chicks last month. They have developed in to healthy and curious young pullets.

I hatched out 3 chicks from my 6. I will be placing these chicks in about 2 weeks. I think I have 2 pullets and a roo but I am not too good at sexing so its a guess. I bought 7 lbs of medicated feed so whatever I have left and the 3 chicks I'm asking $15.00. If anyone is interested in them, let me know. They are Trader Joe chicks Leghorn I'm guessing.

Barb

In an effort to find good homes for my chicks and know that someone will take good care of them, I am willing to give them away to someone here on the board. I was contacted today by someone who was interested not from the board) but I didnt have a good feeling about her so I took a pass. If you are looking to get into chickens, this just might be a way to get going. Let me know anyone is interested.

Barb

Back
Top Bottom