Viva Las Vegas!

Thanks muckmuck!
I killed my FB page almost 9 months ago, so I won't be joining that one.

Getting rid of FB was one of the healthiest choices of my life... I would rather spend the time in my garden & possibly with the future chickens now.

Ok oh wise chick ladies and gents. I know it's still kind winter but it's been warm and sunny. Last March I got three more baby chicks( a buff orphington and two aracuana/Americana/Easter eggers?) I had on laying bantam at the time. My bantam has started laying again. But I still haven't seen eggs out of the others and they are almost a year? What could o possibly be doing wrong? My bantam started at 6 mo my rhode islands at 7 months... Do these breeds just take longer. They are getting layer crumbles... Any insight?

Last edited:
I'm from a completely different climate, so I can't tell you about any regional things to look for.

I do know that my English Orpingtons took a little over 8 months to make their 1st egg. (My bantam orp only took 4.5 months.) Less daylight & cold temps keep many of mine from laying in the winter and will definitely delay the 1st egg.. Some people add artificial light to increase production. (It's the # hours of light, not really the heat.) Some of my Easter Eggers & Cream Crested Legbars just started back up a few days ago. (not all) We simply do not see blue eggs here in the winter.

If it's warm there, could something be eating the eggs? like a snake?
Are the combs red like a hen or still pale?
Do the pullets do "the squat" when you pet them?
If the comb is red, have you checked the vent?
Any signs of leg mites, feather mites, lice?
Anything possibly stressing them.?
Feather loss? (won't lay eggs if they're molting.)

Just some ideas. It could simply be slow maturation plus winter.. Birds hide illness very well, so just look them over carefully to be safe.

You can also just try the carrot & the stick approach.
(Carrot) Throw some veggie & kitchen scraps out in the run.
(The stick) Tell them they're going to provide dinner one way or another.

8 black sex link girls 2 weeks old. $5.00 each.

Also have a 6 week old Trader Joe pullet that I found out today is a bit too aggressive with any new birds to "her" flock. She would do best with older birds to keep her in line. Don't have any of those so time to place her. She is $10.00. I will place all 9 birds for $40.00 but only if the 8 chicks are NOT placed with the TJ pullet because she is too aggressive with them.

Those are Gambel’s Quail. The one with the orange cap is the male. The one in the back looks to be a male as well...
DH's folks live in a retirement community in Henderson. I laugh at the thought of his mom tying to raise chickens. She's not a "nature" person & complained about a rabbit & these adorable birds that took up residence in their tiny yard. So what are these little fence-pooping beasts called? I think they're beautiful.

Last edited:
ok so been observing them the past few days. they are all doing the squat and present and i think i've heard them all screaming away in the mornings. so i guess they are working up towards a lay. I just hadn't had a chicken take this long. heres for hoping they other two haven't found some alternative place to lay their eggs that i haven't found yet! i'm just sooo eager to see what color eggs i'm going to get. i did notice the last time i looked in the coop that i had two different colored brown eggs in the same spot and obviously different size one was like a small sized egg and tan (what i'm used to getting out of my bantam) and a med/lg sized dark brown one, so i'm thinking thats the orphington. just waiting on the "cuana's" to lay soon...

I have one lone silkie chick I hatched out and do not want to raise just one. Just hatched today. Came from an NPIP farm in WI. Please pm if interested

Barb

Last edited:
3 Orpington roosters 4 months old. $5 each. The Black ones are very iridescent. Babies of the original ones I got from Tumbleweed. Have your own fertilized eggs! PM me for info.

Back
Top Bottom