Vivian my oldest hen drowned today

Adrisducks

Songster
6 Years
Oct 26, 2016
Hey y'all I'm Adri and I've had such a horrible day. I found my oldest and favorite hen today in my ducks pool. She was a black frizzled bantam cochin. Barely three years old. I started ducks 4 years ago and chickens 3 years ago. I've just had my first predator loss this month too. I was looking at my flock this afternoon through my window and noticed her only baby all alone and very very sad looking (walking very slow, when she's normally a bit sassy) I though oh no today's the day Vivian kicked her out and is done taking care of her.(she had been her mother for over 3 months now) I felt terrible even though I knew it would happen. And she has no siblings. So I go out with treats and didn't see Vivi and got nervous, so I looked everywhere and finally found her in the ducks pool. I cannot believe I lost her. Now I have her baby on my lap as a type this because she was waiting for her mom to sleep in their nest together. I know some might think I'm silly but how can I help this baby? I have never seen such a sad chick before which is making losing my favorite even harder. Is there a chance this baby could bond with me at 3 months old? Just until she grows up? Or could I bond her to Vivian's 1 year old identical daughter? The baby was staying by her this evening. I know I can give her a teddy bear but that's last resort. I know I sound crazy but they are my pets, not food.

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure the chick will be ok. The other chickens are probably feeling the loss too and will become close to the chick.

Hey y'all I'm Adri and I've had such a horrible day. I found my oldest and favorite hen today in my ducks pool. She was a black frizzled bantam cochin. Barely three years old. I started ducks 4 years ago and chickens 3 years ago. I've just had my first predator loss this month too. I was looking at my flock this afternoon through my window and noticed her only baby all alone and very very sad looking (walking very slow, when she's normally a bit sassy) I though oh no today's the day Vivian kicked her out and is done taking care of her.(she had been her mother for over 3 months now) I felt terrible even though I knew it would happen. And she has no siblings. So I go out with treats and didn't see Vivi and got nervous, so I looked everywhere and finally found her in the ducks pool. I cannot believe I lost her. Now I have her baby on my lap as a type this because she was waiting for her mom to sleep in their nest together. I know some might think I'm silly but how can I help this baby? I have never seen such a sad chick before which is making losing my favorite even harder. Is there a chance this baby could bond with me at 3 months old? Just until she grows up? Or could I bond her to Vivian's 1 year old identical daughter? The baby was staying by her this evening. I know I can give her a teddy bear but that's last resort. I know I sound crazy but they are my pets, not food.
I’m so sorry this happened!

How deep was the pool? I have ducks and thought about intergrating them in with my flock but worried about this very thing happening. So sorry for your loss. Its never easy losing one you really love.

The pool is about 3ft deep. I lost her brother in the pool too but he was trying to mate the ducks in the pool when they were very young. I'm going to put a cover on the pool from now on unless I'm outside with them. Normal kiddie pools haven't ever been a problem for me.

Back
Top Bottom