Vocalazation behaviors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MiddleMan, Nov 10, 2009.

1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    So I have a question, When I hold my Seramas on my lap at night under their blanket for cuddle time, (doesn't everyone do that with their little chickens?) at least three of them make little trilling sounds. I'm not sure what it means? are they happy? are they ticked? what does that little trilling sound mean? They don't do it all the time, just every now and again while they are being cuddled they make cute little trilling sounds. I just wonder what it means. Anyone have an idea?

2. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

They are purring cos they are happy and content. Mine do that when they are roosting...they purr at me and I scratch their little heads. Its more like a trilling noise...but I only have ever heard it when they are comfy and relaxed and seemingly happy in their surroundings. I was concerned the first time I heard it, but I have been told many times that it is just a "i'm so comfy and happy and all is right in my world" type of noise.

Its really a sweet sound to hear... 9 little "brrrr-rrrr-rrr-rrr" at different tones when i am doing the head counts [​IMG] Makes me happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by