voice changes? how long and what?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maralynn28, May 11, 2010.

1. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I think my ducks are starting to get their quacks. I know muscovy ducks sound different, do other ducks sound different too? I'm hearing 2 different sounds... but they seem to be coming from same ducks (all ducks are making these 2 sounds)

1st one sounds like a long low 'honk'....think Chewbacca? when they are relaxed and lazing about...I thought it was a sort of snore at first!
    The other is like squealing pigs (how fitting they make this sounds during feeding/ treat time) [​IMG]

How long before it becomes more constant and I will know their 'true' voices?

ETA: I did check the sticky. I guess the honky chewbacca sound is the makings of female quack...not quite there yet though.
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Only the females quack. The males make a raspy sounding noise.
  3. WadeMD

WadeMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    Mine shifted around 5-7 weeks of age. At first, they tend to mix peeps and quacks and it comes out all funny. You won't really tell the sounds apart until maybe 6-8 weeks of age. Then, you will KNOW when its quacks... they can be really loud, especially my runners and swedish. For some reason, my chocolate runners are the worst noise offenders. They especially used to make peeping noises when they were eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by