Voice Sexing your Mallard-derivative duck.

Tevyes Dad

Leader of the Quack
8 Years
Apr 22, 2014
I saw another post today trying to figure out if their duck was a drake. This is a frequent question and when I first started from the descriptions, I was sure my Pekin was a drake because she never quacked and she had a scratchy voice. Ducks make many different sounds, but drakes only make one (plus they whistle - but by that time, they will already have a drake feather so you should already know the sex.) I decided to do something about it. I enlisted the help of Tevye and Kaine, my two drakes to make all the noises they could. I gave them a bath, then let them preen separate from the flock. Then I went out and visited the flock. They were kind of on edge because their men had disappeared, so they started out with some alert quacks then they saw they were just getting some treats so they settled down to various other vocalizations. You will hear some scratchy sounds coming from the girls, but they sound nothing like the sounds the drakes make.

Tevye and Kaine getting a bath:
0.jpg

Tevye and Kaine preening afterward:
0.jpg

The girls and their many vocalizations:
0.jpg

OK, maybe this was just an excuse to post some more videos, but maybe it will help someone sex their ducks.

Ee sexed ours by the volume. Our drakes make a softer noise while our girl is louder and talks more. It even works when the are chics.

I enjoyed the videos. It is helpful. The typical drake cricket/croak sound can be heard during preening. It seemed like it was mostly Tevye? The girls, of course, are well, vocal as normal. Rhiannon is one of my favorites. Who is the black & white speckled looking patterned one? I can't keep all their names straight...yet.
big_smile.png

I enjoyed the videos. It is helpful. The typical drake cricket/croak sound can be heard during preening. It seemed like it was mostly Tevye? The girls, of course, are well, vocal as normal. Rhiannon is one of my favorites. Who is the black & white speckled looking patterned one? I can't keep all their names straight...yet.
big_smile.png
I thought it was mostly Kaine, but they sound exactly the same so it is very hard to tell unless you see lips moving and they don't have lips. The black & white speckled one is Noir, she is a black runner and last spring when she was 1 yr old, she was completely black with one little white feather on her shoulder the size of a pinky nail. The summer's molts changed that!!!

I saw another post today trying to figure out if their duck was a drake. This is a frequent question and when I first started from the descriptions, I was sure my Pekin was a drake because she never quacked and she had a scratchy voice. Ducks make many different sounds, but drakes only make one (plus they whistle - but by that time, they will already have a drake feather so you should already know the sex.) I decided to do something about it. I enlisted the help of Tevye and Kaine, my two drakes to make all the noises they could. I gave them a bath, then let them preen separate from the flock. Then I went out and visited the flock. They were kind of on edge because their men had disappeared, so they started out with some alert quacks then they saw they were just getting some treats so they settled down to various other vocalizations. You will hear some scratchy sounds coming from the girls, but they sound nothing like the sounds the drakes make.

Tevye and Kaine getting a bath:
0.jpg

Tevye and Kaine preening afterward:
0.jpg

The girls and their many vocalizations:
0.jpg

OK, maybe this was just an excuse to post some more videos, but maybe it will help someone sex their ducks.
I absolutely loved these videos beyond anything. The boys' sounds are wonderful. I laughed every time Tevye's bill thunked on the tub's bottom. He did it a lot. I heard Kaine's a couple times. What else was cute was the swimming and then the preening and how they kept wagging their tails. They are so gorgeous. And cute too. Please, please make more videos.

Then the girls. Ugh. In love with how cute they are. And their sounds are so versatile. The body shapes and colors got me. I wonder if they would mind that when I stop by I could pick all of them up and hug and kiss them. Will you please ask?

Thank you, Tony, for the treat. And you provided a great smorgasbord of webs with their sounds so anyone could sex their young duck.

big_smile.png
Debs, do you think ducks are cute?

I absolutely loved these videos beyond anything. The boys' sounds are wonderful. I laughed every time Tevye's bill thunked on the tub's bottom. He did it a lot. I heard Kaine's a couple times. What else was cute was the swimming and then the preening and how they kept wagging their tails. They are so gorgeous. And cute too. Please, please make more videos.

Then the girls. Ugh. In love with how cute they are. And their sounds are so versatile. The body shapes and colors got me. I wonder if they would mind that when I stop by I could pick all of them up and hug and kiss them. Will you please ask?

Thank you, Tony, for the treat. And you provided a great smorgasbord of webs with their sounds so anyone could sex their young duck.
I don't need to ask. They would all mind a little bit (they are ducks after all), but you could definitely pick up each and every one of them and hug them and kiss them.
big_smile.png

I thought it was mostly Kaine, but they sound exactly the same so it is very hard to tell unless you see lips moving and they don't have lips. The black & white speckled one is Noir, she is a black runner and last spring when she was 1 yr old, she was completely black with one little white feather on her shoulder the size of a pinky nail. The summer's molts changed that!!!

Well, no wonder I didn't realize it was Noir! I'm not use to her having all that white.
big_smile.png
They're all so beautiful. I hope I have a larger flock someday with all the variety of breeds.

Back
Top Bottom