Volunteer sunflower

PhenixJiRa

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Idaho
In the past I gave my hens sunflower seeds (the type for birds) but haven’t in quite a while.

This plant volunteered in my yard this year.

Can the chickens eat the seeds from this kind of sunflower and, if so, how much at a time? I’m assuming I shouldn’t just put the flower on the ground and let them free eat it.

Attachments

• IMG_4422.jpeg
    IMG_4422.jpeg
    655.3 KB · Views: 28
It is still a sunflower. It looks like it was grown for the seed. I think you may find cardinals and other birds coming to take the seed. This might not matter to you, but if it does, cover the flowerhead with a screen or something. If you cut the flower off before the seeds are mature, they will only continue to mature for a few days.

The seeds should all turn black and be easy to take. You can leave it on the ground, but don't let it get wet

I have a lot of volunteer sunflowers in my yard. I just toss the heads in the yard for the chickens to work through. The seeds are small and the heads are usually partially to mostly eaten by wild birds by the time they make it to the chickens, so they are getting more entertainment than food.

Back
Top Bottom