Vomiting strange red larvae

LittleFlinga

In the Brooder
May 26, 2019
09DCB524-E0BD-4635-B449-A642BB2BD473.jpeg E9D504D6-7630-46C5-84C3-0109687D3382.jpeg Little Flinga didn’t come out yesterday morning and when i lift her out there was instantly liquid coming from her beak.
I took her to the waterbowl but she wouldn’t drink (she normally always drinks in the morning)
I tilted her aside and immidiately she vomited. It was sunflower seeds and clear fluid and something more. I thought first it was some blood-slimish intestiment. Bright red 6 cm and worm shaped. I have not fed her this ever. Please look at the pics!
Questions is, did she eat something poisonous? (nothing that i know to be around in the garden)
Could this be a parasite like gapeworm?
FYI; Flinga has had neurotic tics for several months by the way.
But been strong and always hungry like a wolf.

Today she’s a lot better and tries to pick from the ground. But still not really well. She ate a little boiled egg + corn- porridge which was appriciated!
After that she got tired and takes naps, doing short shakes with her head like something still is bothering her crop. I felt her crop but it’s not swollen. She might have some fluid left though as she does drink movements when i squeeze carefully. But no liquid coming out this time. Shall i Try to rinse her crop? Or just give her more time?

28 aug. 2019 kl. 14:20 skrev BackYard Chickens <[email protected]>:

BackYard Chickens

LittleFlinga, BarnhartChickens98 replied to a thread you are watching at BackYard Chickens.

Vomiting strange red larvae

I'm not a worm identifying pro, but that looks like something she ate to me. Does her crop feel really full and squishy? Sour crop comes to mind for me.
View This Thread Unread Watched Threads
Please do not reply to this email. You must visit BackYard Chickens to reply.

This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread Vomiting strange red larvae at BackYard Chickens with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/

Gapeworms are the only red worms I know of in chickens. Flubenvet 1% is the treatment. Anytime you have a parasite problem you should treat the whole flock. Also realize if that parasite is in your area repeated dewormings are probably necessary.

Gapeworms are the only red worms I know of in chickens. Flubenvet 1% is the treatment. Anytime you have a parasite problem you should treat the whole flock. Also realize if that parasite is in your area repeated dewormings are probably necessary.
Flubenvet is hard to get in the US, so most people use Valbazen or Safeguard to treat gapeworms. :D

Thank you, I will look this up.
She got better and ate normally for 2 days but now her crop fills up with fluid again. Appointment at the vet today.

Back
Top Bottom