Voracious chicks !

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WWolf, Mar 18, 2009.

1. WWolf

WWolf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    San Diego
    I just got 27 Ancona chicks from McMurray They are very vigorous and EAT well. They eat like no little critters I have ever fed before !
    Their little crops are quite plump It seems OK but do all chicks eat like this ?

2. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    We have some RIR and some Polish chicks, all of them eat like little piglets! They have been healthy from day one though, they are all 4-5 weeks old now.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    From the time my chickens were little they've all had Semi-Dolly Parton syndrome. I think some of them would develop second and third crops if they could.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That is one reason why -- when they are a little older -- free range is so attractive.

My free range hens eat very little layer feed. They would rather eat grass and bugs from the lawn and woods. I will not take their free range from them. Meanwhile, my chicks are eating huge amounts of their starter/grower.

On the other hand, I lost 15 of 20 of my free rangers to predators since last May, including all 4 roo's. Probably mostly fox: I have removed 3 fox.

Sigh.

I am going to try really large yards this year, a lot more than 10 sq. ft. per bird, for the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by